I have fond memories of growing green beans or string beans in our family garden growing up. But I didn’t like eating them as much, haha. Well, I didn’t like many vegetables when I was younger. Now I absolutely love green beans. And one of my favorite ways to eat them is cooked in the air fryer. This air fryer green beans recipe is so yummy and the perfect side dish to go with steak, chicken, or whenever you feel like eating them.
Air fryer green beans are extremely easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
What is the difference between green beans and string beans?
First off, green beans and string beans are the same things. The term “string” is a more outdated term referring to the stringy fibers that are found in green beans. But, they are both one and the same. Growing up we called them string beans a little more, but now I don’t hear that term as often anymore.
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make air fryer green beans you need a handful of ingredients and tools:
- Fresh green beans – You can’t make air fryer green beans without green beans! Better yet, grow your own and use those, if you live in a region where they grow. They are easy to grow and take care of.
- Garlic Powder
- Cooking spray – You can use avocado oil spray, olive oil spray, etc. If you don’t have cooking spray just use a few tsps of oil.
- Air Fryer – This is the particular air fryer that I own, but you can use pretty much any air fryer to cook green beans.
- Cutting board
Step 2: How to cook green beans in the air fryer
Begin by rinsing your fresh green beans and drying them with a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel. Sometimes the term “washing” is used as well, but when it comes to vegetables and other foods, it really means “rinsing.”
Use a knife and trim off the woody stem ends of the green beans. The stems are edible, but not very appetizing. I just line them up and cut them. You may also cut off the pointing other ends if desired, I always leave them on.
Place the green beans in a container and then spray it with a bit of cooking spray (avocado oil, olive oil, etc.).
Then add a few pinches of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use clean hands or tongs and turn them until evenly coated with the seasonings.
NOTE: Each seasoning is optional and you can add something else like paprika, chili powder, etc. if you like.
Step 3: Cook those green beans
Place those seasoned green beans in your Air Fryer basket. Arrange them so they are fairly flat. Then put the basket inside the air fryer and set the temp to 400F/205C.
Turn it on for 5 minutes.
Once the time is up pull the basket out and then sprinkle on the parmesan cheese (optional). Replace the basket and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
They should be lightly golden brown on the ends. And the fresh bright green color will change to a duller less vibrant green.
Remove the basket and use tongs to retrieve the green beans and place them on a plate. Serve warm.
Can I cook frozen green beans in the air fryer?
Yes! You certainly can use frozen green beans. Just cook them for a few minutes longer.
How long do the cooked green beans last?
While they do taste better fresh, they will last for a few days in the fridge if stored in a ziplock bag or an airtight container. Warm them back up in the air fryer or in the oven or microwave.
Here are some other air fryer recipes you may like:
Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer
- Cutting board
- 1 handful of fresh green beans
- 1 to 2 pinches of salt
- 1 to 2 pinches of pepper
- 1 to 2 pinches of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp or so of parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray or oil avocado, olive, etc.
- Rinse and dry the green beans.
- Trim off the stems of the green beans.
- Add green beans to a container and spray with cooking spray. Then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Turn with clean hands or tongs to coat evenly.
- Place seasoned green beans in the air fryer basket and place in the air fryer. Set the heat to 400F/205C. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the air fryer basket and sprinkle on the parmesan cheese. This step is optional but makes them super yummy.
- Replace the basket and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until the ends are lightly golden brown and the bright green beans turn a more dull-looking green.
- Serve the air fryer green beans warm. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Check out my other website 101 Creative Dates for fun date ideas. Food and dating go hand in hand!