Apple crumb pie is so yummy and the perfect pie for apple pie lovers. Serve it as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How can you not like this pie? It has an amazing buttery flaky crust filled with sliced tart apples that have been covered with cinnamon and sugar, not to mention the incredible crumb topping.
If you are an apple pie fan then you have got to try this recipe. It is super easy to make using very few ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
What is the difference between apple crumb pie and traditional apple pie?
The main difference between the two style of apple pies is that the top for the apple crumb pie has a delicious crumb. Instead of having another top layer of crust or pie dough.
I love pie! And apple pie is probably my favorite pie of all time with triple berry pie a close second. I can’t decide which I like better between the two styles of apple pie, though. My homemade traditional apple pie is so yummy, but the same with this one. Good thing, I don’t have to choose!
Gather the ingredients
In order to make an apple crumb pie you will need the following readily available ingredients:
- Apples – I always like to use Granny Smith apples, they are tart and seem to make the best apple pies. But you can use whatever apples you want. Peel and slice them thin.
- Flour – Use all-purpose/plain flour
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Flour – Again use all-purpose/plain flour
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
You will also need a pie crust enough for a 9-inch pie. You can use a store-bought pie crust or use this yummy buttery flaky homemade pie crust.
Step 1: How to make homemade apple crumb pie
Begin by preheating the oven to 450 F/232 C. Add the filling ingredients to a medium bowl, the flour, white granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and lemon zest. Mix all those ingredients together with a fork or whisk.
Peel and core the apples. Then slice them really thin. Place them in a large bowl. I usually use 6 to 8 Granny Smith apples, depending on their size. Plus if I have any left over, I just eat them.
Now pour the lemon juice over the apples. The lemon juice will help them to not turn brown but also add a bit of flavor and balance out the sweetness from the sugar.
Then dump the dry ingredient mixture over the apples and stir them with a spatula or wooden spoon until evenly coated. Just like that the apple pie filling is done. Easy right?
Step 2: Prepare the pie crust
Now prepare the pie crust. You can make a homemade pie crust or just use a store bought one. If it is in the freezer make sure to take it out of the freezer.
I don’t always make a pie crust from scratch, but they are super easy to make and don’t take that much time at all, plus they taste so much better than store-bought.
Place the pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan on top of a sheet pan. The pan will make it easier to remove from the hot oven.
Step 3: Make the crumb topping
Now it is time to make that yummy apple crumb pie topping. To make the crumble, add the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, to a bowl and mix them together with a fork. Then add in the softened butter. Use the fork or a pastry blender and mix until it resembles large crumbs.
Step 4: Assemble and bake the apple crumb pie
Now start assembling the pie by placing the sliced apples flat side down in the pan evenly and then layering it. This works a lot better than just dumping the whole bowl in it. The resulting pie will be mounded with apples on the top.
Once the apples are mounded up, add the apple crumb topping. While it does look like a big mounded pie the pie filling will settle and drop as it bakes for a flatter pie on top.
Place the sheet pan and pie in the oven, middle rack position, and bake it for 15 minutes at 450 F/232 C. Then after that, remove the pie and cover it with aluminum foil. And reduce the heat to 350 F/176 C. Bake it for another 45 to 55 minutes.
Once the pie comes out of the oven, it will be nice and golden brown on top. Allow it to cool down before serving. It will slice better after it cools completely.
Time to serve up a slice of that homemade apple crumb pie. Enjoy!
How long does apple crumb pie last?
Cover the pie with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and you can store it at room temperature for a few days, or 5 to 6 days in the fridge. You may also freeze the pie for a few months.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Apple Crumb Pie
- 9-inch pie pan
- Pastry blender
- Aluminum foil
- sheet pan
- 6 to 8 Granny Smith apples any tart apple really peeled and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour plain (32g)
- 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar 65g
- 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon 4g
- 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg 2g
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice 15ml
- 2g pinch of lemon zest (optional)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour plain (128g)
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar 100g
- 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar 100g
- 1 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of softened butter 115g
- 1 – 9 inch pie crust homemade or frozen store-bought
- If you are using a homemade pie crust make that first, or take a frozen one out of the freezer. Use a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry filling ingredients, the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and optional lemon zest.
- Wash and peel the apples. Then core and cut them into thin slices no more than 1/8th of an inch thick. Place the apple slices in a large bowl and pour the lemon juice over them. Then sprinkle on the dry filling mixture and stir until all the apples are evenly coated.
- Make the crumb topping by adding the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a bowl and mixing them together. Then add the softened butter and mix with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles large crumbs.
- Place the pie crust and pie pan on top of a sheet pan. This is optional but helps when taking the pie out of the oven. Layer the slices of coated apples in the crust, until it is mounded. Don't just dump all the apples in, that creates too many air pockets. Then sprinkle the apple crumb topping on top evenly. Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 450 F/232 C. Then cover with foil and reduce the heat to 350 F/176 C. and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Once the pie comes out of the oven allow it to cool for 45 minutes or so before serving it. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.