One of my favorite showstopper desserts is these apple roses pastries. They taste amazing and are super cool-looking.
I love eating pastries. Ever since I was a little kid I couldn’t get enough of them. These awesome apple roses are the perfect pastry to serve at parties or if you just want to wow your friends and family. The best part is, they are incredibly easy to make. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these beautiful apple roses you will need the following basic ingredients:
- Water – I like to use filtered water since my tap water tastes terrible.
- Lemon juice – The lemon juice is used to prevent the apple slices from browning.
- Brown Sugar – This is one of the sweet elements of these pastries. It can be substituted with white granulated sugar if desired.
- Granulated Sugar – Like the brown sugar this will add sweetness to the pastry.
- Cinnamon – The spice of life!
- Nutmeg – The nutmeg will give these pastries some depth and complexity of flavor.
- Apples – Depending on what color you want your roses you can pick a variety of apples. I usually pick Red Delicious, Pink Lady, or Gala apples. Because I like the red color it gives the apple rose. For a green rose, the Granny Smith apples are perfect.
- Puff Pastry – You can use frozen puff pastry from the store like the Pepperidge Farm brand or you can make this homemade puff pastry recipe too if you like. Homemade tastes better in my opinion but it takes a bit of work to make it.
- Jelly – The jelly will act as a glue for the apples. Since they are apple roses I like to use apple jelly. You can try different flavors like strawberry or apricot jam.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as confectioners sugar or icing sugar, is used to sprinkle on top of the apple roses.
Step 2: How to make apple roses pastry
Begin by preheating the oven to 375 F/176 C. Then take a large bowl and add the water to it. Squeeze the juice from one lemon into the water. You can just use your hands or use a handy Citrus juicer.
Next, using a knife or mandolin slicer slice the apples in half and really thin. The apple slices should be no more than 1/8th of an inch thick. Place apple slices in the lemon water, which will help to keep them from browning.
*The above links are affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Step 3: Heat up those apple slices
Next, place the bowl of water and apple slices in the microwave. Heat them on high for about 3 minutes. The hot water will make the apples more pliable and easier to bend. If you don’t have a microwave just heat them up in a pot on the stovetop until you see little bubbles form. It doesn’t have to boil. Afterward, drain all the liquid from the apples.
Step 4: Sugar and Spice makes these apple slices nice
In a small bowl mix together the brown and white sugar along with the nutmeg and cinnamon. Use a whisk or small fork. Then add about half of the sugar mixture to the drained tender apples slices. Use clean hands and mix them around until they are nice and coated.
Step 5: Apple Roses puff pastry
On a floured work surface unfold the puff pastry sheets and using a rolling pin roll it out a bit further. But make sure to keep the rectangular shape of the sheet. Then use a pizza cutter to cut it into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide to 2 inches.
You should be able to get 6 long strips from it. You can even use a pie crust if you like, but I definitely prefer the puff pastry sheet.
Use a pastry brush and brush off any extra flour that might be on the tops of the pastry and then slice them with a knife or pizza roller to get the strips. You want the strips roughly 2 inches wide.
Now melt the jelly in the microwave, it will only take 15 to 20 seconds. Baste the jelly on the strip of puff pastry with your pastry brush and then sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Step 6: Roll up those apple roses
Place several sliced apples on the top half of the puff pastry strips.
Then you can fold the bottom half over the apple slices.
Starting at one end tightly roll up the puff pastry dough and apples forming the unbaked apple rose. Pretty easy right?
Step 7: Bake those apple rose pastries
Place the apple rose pastries in a muffin pan that has been sprayed with kitchen spray. Next, place the pan on the middle rack and bake them for 30 to 40 minutes. Check them after 30 minutes and if they are getting too brown you can place aluminum foil over the top of the pan.
They will be nice and golden brown when they are done. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t leave them in the pan for too long because then they will stick to the pan.
TIP: If you do not have a prepared muffin tin you can use something like individual ramekins and roll apple pastries up, then bake them in those instead.
After a few minutes run a butter knife or small cake spatula around the apple roses to loosen them from the muffin pan. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 8: Powdered sugar topping on the apple roses
Dust the top of the apple rose pastries with powdered sugar and serve. You can also drizzle a caramel sauce on top if you like, add whipped cream, a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, or whatever you like.
I hope you enjoy trying this apple roses recipe!
How to store the puff pastry apple roses
You can place these apple rose pastries in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for a few days. They are definitely better if served on the same day.
If I don’t have a muffin tin can I still make these?
Yes, you sure can. Another option to try would be to place the unbaked pastries on a small pan or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can try baking one by itself to see if it unravels or not, if it unravels tie a bit of cooking twine around the other ones and bake them. They should keep their shape better. Or maybe try just the paper muffin cups by themselves without the tin.
If you have any other stainless steel metal baking rings you can use those. Or like I mentioned above, small ramekins will work great too. You can also try baking them all together in a cake pan. Lots of options to try if you don’t have a muffin pan.
Here are a few more recipes you may like:
- Citrus juicer (optional)
- Knife or mandolin slicer
- Apple corer
- fork or whisk
- Basting brush
- Muffin Pan (greased or sprayed with kitchen spray)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 medium to large lemon halved
- 2 Tbsp of brown sugar 30g
- 2 Tbsp of white granulated sugar 30g
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon 3g
- 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg 3g
- 2 red apples red delicious, Pink Lady, gala, etc.
- 1 Frozen puff pastry dough or pie crust dough or use homemade
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. of apple jelly or your favorite jelly or jam (45 to 60g)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/176 C. Add the water to a large bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemon into the water.
- Thinly slice the apples with a knife or mandolin slicer. Place the thin apple slices in the bowl. Heat the bowl in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. This will soften the apple slices and make them more pliable. Or you can heat them up on a stovetop in a pot. Drain the water.
- In a small bowl combine the sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then pour half of it over the bowl of sliced apples, save the other half for later. Using clean hands mix everything together or use a spatula. Just make sure to not tear the apple slices.
- Unfold a puff pastry sheet and roll it out a bit with a rolling pin until it is about 12 inches wide. Use a knife or pizza roller to cut the puff pastry into 6 2-inch wide strips.
- Melt some jelly in a small bowl in the microwave for a few seconds. Then baste the melted jelly onto the strips of puff pastry. Sprinkle on the reserved cinnamon and sugar mixture, as much as you like.
- Place apple slices overlapping each other on the top half of the puff pastry strip. Then fold the bottom half up over the apple slices. Then start at one end and tightly roll them up creating the apple roses.
- Place the unbaked apple roses in a muffin pan that has been sprayed with kitchen spray. Bake it in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
- After they are done baking, allow them to cool for just a few minutes before removing them from the pan. If you let them cool too long in the pan they may stick to the pan, even though you sprayed it. Run a thin butter knife or cake spatula around the edges of the pan. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the tops with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!
Do you like this apple roses recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.