I just love eating this homemade bacon and cheese quiche for breakfast. It is so easy to make and ready in about 55 minutes!
What is quiche? A quiche is a French tart with some sort of pastry crust and filled with a savory custard and things like veggies, meat, and cheese. They are very popular worldwide.
I love to eat quiches because they are a whole meal in and of themselves. So awesome! And they are simple to make using everyday ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this breakfast bacon and cheese quiche, you need the following ingredients:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Bacon – mmmm bacon.
- Cheese – I usually use medium cheddar cheese, but Jack and Gruyere and other cheese work well too.
- Cold Pie crust – You can use a store-bought pie crust or use a homemade pie crust.
Step 2: How to make a bacon and cheese quiche
Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. Then cook the bacon in a skillet or in the oven. Dice the onion, and shred the cheese.
In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Then add the heavy whipping cream. You may also use half and half or whole milk.
Now season the quiche batter with the salt and pepper and whisk those in.
Step 3: The pastry for the quiche
For the pastry part of the bacon and cheese quiche, you can use a pre-made store-bought cold pie crust, or you can use a homemade pie crust and chill it. The cold pastry will be extra flaky and yummy. But it will still work if it isn’t cold.
Take the pie crust and place it in a 9 inch tart pan and form it to the pan. Alternatively, if you don’t have a tart pan you can use a pie plate, spring form pan, or even a square pan. The tart pan is the classic pan used for quiches.
Step 4: Bacon, onion, and cheese, oh yeah
Next, cut up the cooked the bacon and place it in the pan. Now add the onion and cheese as well. There are other things you can add as well, liked cooked sausage, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, ham, etc.
The cheese is up to you, my favorite is Cheddar, but there are a variety of cheeses that will work great, you can do a combination of cheeses if you like as well, like Cheddar and Jack.
Pour the bacon and cheese quiche batter over the filling.
Step 5: Bake the bacon and cheese quiche
Bake the quiche in the oven, middle rack position, for 25 to 35 minutes, until when you insert a toothpick it comes out clean.
Note: If you are adding lots of extra filling, you may need a larger pan. Just keep that in mind.
After the quiche comes out of the oven allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. Then you can add a garnish on top if you like. I generally will add some fresh green onion.
Next, release the breakfast quiche from the tart pan, slice it up and enjoy!
How long does the bacon and cheese quiche last?
If stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in the fridge the quiche will keep for 3 to 4 days. Or you may also freeze it for about 3 months.
Can I use almond milk instead of cream or whole milk for the quiche?
Yes, if you are dairy free you can use almond milk or soy milk along with dairy-free cheese. The texture will be a bit different but it will still work.
Can I use a gluten-free pie crust for this quiche?
Yes! You can certainly use a gluten-free pie crust to make this bacon and cheese quiche.
Bacon and Cheese Quiche
- 9-inch tart pan (or use a pie plate, springform pan, etc.)
- Cheese grater
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream or half and half, whole milk. (240ml)
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper .5 g
- 1/4 tsp. of salt 1.5 g
- 6 to 8 slices of cooked bacon or sausage, ham, etc.
- 1/4 cup of minced onion optional (40g)
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese or Jack, Gruyère, etc.
- Green onion of garnish optional
- 9- inch pie crust ready-made or homemade
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375 F/190 C. Cook the bacon either in the skillet or you can also do it in the oven or even the microwave. Chop the onions and grate the cheese.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and the heavy whipping cream, half and half, or whole milk. Add the salt and pepper and whisk those in. The quiche batter is ready to go.
- Add a cold pie crust to the tart pan and use your clean fingers to form it to the pan. You can make a homemade pie crust too if you like. You may also use a pie pan or even a square pan instead.
- Next, add the chopped bacon and cheese to the tart pan or any other fillings you want to use, leave some of the cheese to go on top. Pour the quiche batter on top of the filling, then sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Note: if you plan to use lots of fillings you may need a large pan.
- Bake the quiche in the oven, middle rack position, for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Allow the quiche to cool for about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven. Then remove it from the pan, garnish with green onion if you like, and serve! Enjoy.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: