These homemade bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, also known as jalapeno bites, are so yummy and perfect for a family gathering, game day party, or any occasion.
I will admit I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food, but these bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers aren’t vey spice at all. They still have a little bit of a kick to them, but not enough to make my forehead sweat like some foods, haha.
And they are stuffed with a cream cheese filling and wrapped in bacon, what is not to like? They are super easy to make and can be made in under an hour, if I can do it, you can do it it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- Jalapeños – I like to buy the larger size which are 3 to 4 inches long.
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese – or you can leave this out and just use cream cheese. You can also use different cheeses like jack, mozzarella, etc.
- Garlic powder
- Bacon – It is important to use a thinner cut bacon, because it wraps much easier.
- Sheet pan
- Silicone mat or parchment paper
Step 2: How to make bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C, with the rack in the middle position. Now wash and dry the jalapeños. Then cut them in half lengthwise. After that scoop out the white membrane (pith) and the seeds.
Those parts contain the most heat. You can cut off the stem completely if you want or leave it on for people to hold on to. Don’t touch your face, mouth, and eyes when working with jalapeños. Once you are done, wash your hands again.
Step 3: Prepare the jalapeno poppers filling
Add the softened room temperature cream cheese to a large bowl. If you forget to take it out of the fridge to soften, you can soften it up in the microwave using the defrost mode for 45 seconds to a minute.
Blend the cream cheese by itself at first. Then add in the shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Don’t add a ton of salt in at first. There is salt already in the cheeses and of course the bacon is already salty. Start with a tiny bit of extra salt and then taste it, you can always add more later.
Mix everything together until you are left with a nice cheese filling.
Step 4: Wrap the jalapeno poppers in bacon
Now it is time to finish prepping the bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. Take 11 slices of the thin cut bacon and cut them in half. Only one half is used for each one. Although you can certainly use a full piece of bacon if you wanted.
Using a spoon or spatula stuff the jalapeno halves with the cream cheese filling. If you don’t mind if it over flows while baking, then fill it to the top. However, if you want it to bake a bit more cleanly, don’t fill up the jalapeno “canoes” all the way full.
Next, wrap each piece of bacon around the middle of the stuffed jalapeno. At this point you can use toothpicks if you want to hold them together, but I normally do not do that. If the bacon is unraveling, try wrapping it so the seam side is down.
Place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. You may also just spray the sheet pan with cooking spray.
Step 5: How to bake bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
Now time to bake these tasty appetizers. Place the pan with the bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers in the oven and bake them for 18 to 25 minutes until they bacon is browned and a bit crispy.
If you over-filled the jalapeños they cheese may have bubbled over a bit, but don’t worry, that won’t change how they taste. I personally don’t mind with the cheese bubbles over.
Now just allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving them. Enjoy!
How long do bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers last?
While they are best eaten soon after they are made, you can cover them and place them in the fridge for a day or too longer if you want. They won’t taste quite as good though.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- sheet pan
- Silicone Mat or parchment paper
- 11 Jalapenos 3 to 4 inches long
- 11 strips of bacon
- 8 oz cream cheese 225g
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 100g
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of salt 1g
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper 2g
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 2g
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C, with the rack in the middle position. Wash and dry the jalapenos. Then cut them in half lengthwise and scrape and scoop out the seeds and white membrane/pith. Don't touch your face!
- Add the softened room temperature cream cheese to a large bowl and then mix well. Next add the shredded cheddar cheese, salt, garlic powder, and ground black pepper and mix until combined. If you forget to take the cream cheese out of the fridge, just soften it up in the microwave with the defrost mode, somewhere around 45 seconds seems to work well.
- Now cut 11 strips of bacon in half. I like to use thin-cut bacon because it wraps easier. Scoop some cream cheese filling into the slice jalapeno and spread it out. Don't fill it up all the way to the top, unless you don't mind it bubbling over when it cooks. I don't mind when that happens. Wrap each one with a half slice of bacon. You can use toothpicks if you want to get the bacon to stay, or wrap it so the seam side is down. Place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Next, bake them in the oven for 18 to 25 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the cheese is melted. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.