I just love these homemade baked tuna patties. It is a great substitute for a hamburger, so instead of eating a traditional burger, you can make healthy tuna burgers.
Hamburgers are one of my favorite things to eat. It is hard to beat a nice juicy burger from the barbecue grill. But I also enjoy eating tuna. Traditional tuna sandwiches are awesome, but every once in awhile I like to switch it up and make tuna burgers.
These baked tuna patties are a great way to use those cans of tuna you have sitting in your pantry. Or maybe you don’t eat red meat, these are a wonderful substitute. And then you can still use all the same favorite burger toppings.
They are super easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these yummy baked tuna patties you just need some everyday ingredients:
- Breadcrumbs – I use the traditional kind. You can use store-bought or homemade breadcrumbs. And for a gluten-free option, you can use almond flour.
- Black ground pepper
- Garlic powder
- Water – I use the water from the can of tuna.
- Oil – I use olive oil, but other oils will work fine too.
- Mustard – Plain yellow mustard works great or you can use Dijon mustard too.
- Tuna – Use the canned tuna packed in water.
Step 2: How to make baked tuna patties
Begin by preheating the oven to 375 F/190 C. Or if you want to use a skillet and oil you can do that, set the burner to medium heat and add about a tablespoon of oil in it.
In a small bowl blend together the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder with a fork or whisk.
Open the cans of tuna and drain them except measure out 1 tablespoon of the water and set it aside. Now take a separate bowl and whisk the egg and add the tuna water, oil, and mustard and mix those ingredients all together.
Step 3: Mix all the tuna patties ingredients together
Next, in a large bowl add the cans of drained tuna. Then pour in the egg mixture, chopped parsley, and breadcrumbs mixture.
Use a fork or wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together.
Step 4: Form those patties
Now, push down all the baked tuna patties mixture in the bowl so it is easy to divide into 4 equal sections. I just use a fork to draw a line through it. This just makes it easier to make even sized patties.
Using very clean hands, or food gloves, grab one of the fourths and form it into a patty in your hands. Similar to if you were making hamburger patties.
Place the tuna patties on a sheet pan lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Or skip this step and put them straight into a hot skillet.
Cook them in the skillet for about 4 minutes per side.
Step 5: Bake those tuna patties
Place the pan in the oven and bake the tuna patties for 10 minutes. Then turn the baked tuna patties over and bake them for another 10 minutes until slightly browned.
Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving them. Use them the same way you would a hamburger, but make a tuna burger. Or the are pretty good plain as well. Enjoy!
How long do the baked tuna patties last?
If stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag the tuna patties will last 3 to 5 days. They can certainly be made ahead of time. And used in meals for the next few days.
Baked Tuna Patties
- Sheet pan or cookie sheet
- Silicone Mat or parchment paper
- 1/2 cup traditional breadcrumbs or almond flour 45g
- 1/4 tsp. salt 1g
- 1/4 tsp. black ground pepper 1g
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 2g
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water – I used the water from the tuna can 15ml
- 2 tsp. olive oil 10ml
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard or dijon mustard 10g
- 2 5oz cans of tuna, packed in water (242g)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley 8g
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. OR Add a skillet to the stovetop and set the burner to medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil to the pan.
- Open the cans of tuna and drain them, but save about 1 tablespoon of the water from the can.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Take a different bowl and whisk the egg together with the tuna water, oil, and mustard.
- Add the drained tuna to a large bowl, along with the egg mixture, chopped parsley, and breadcrumbs mixture. Mix everything together with a fork or wooden spoon.
- Divide the bowl into fourths, and scoop one-fourth of it out with clean hands, or wear food prep gloves. Form it into a patty and place it onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Then repeat until you are left with 4 tuna patties.
- Bake them in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip them over and bake them for another 10 minutes. Or cook them in the skillet for about 4 minutes per side. Once done baking or cooking allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like:
Matt, can they be frozen? I know it sounds kind of stupid to ask, because I don’t see why not, other fish can be frozen.
Hello, yes they can be frozen. 🙂 Place in a ziplock freezer bag or an airtight container and they can be frozen for a few months.
Hey.. this looks like a great food to try. I believe it will be good eating with a sandwich and a slice of cheese.
Thanks for sharing the recipe! I may try it for my next breakfast.
Thanks! Yes it would make a great sandwich with cheese. 🙂
I like your Baked Tuna Patties! It’s so healthy! Also, it’s way better than the regular patty ( yeah… maybe on some days! hehe)!
Thank you, Emman! 🙂
I never tried making tuna patties but I did salmon patties before and they almost have the same process and ingredients. 🙂
Yep pretty much the same as making salmon patties. 🙂
Whoa. This is such a healthy option. Something you can really savour without feeling any guilt!
These look great! I’m going to make these for my mom.
Thank you! 🙂
I love baked tuna, this sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
You are welcome!
I have never heard of this but I am totally intrigued. I will be needing to try it!
Thanks! Something different than a beef patty for sure!
Your baked tuna patties look incredibly delicious. I bet it would be a great hit during the family reunion or parties!
Thank you, Ana!
You know you’re reading a great recipe when your mouth is watering by the end of the article. This is on my short list for a family dinner. Burgers get so boring!
Thank you, Marian!! 🙂
We’ve tried this even with some canned fish like sardines and it tasted pretty good.
Thank you for another wonderful lunch and snack idea
You are welcome
This is an interesting recipe! I like homemade patties. The taste is always better than the patties made in factory. Thanks for sharing this with me!
You are welcome!
Oh wow these tuna patties sound so yummy. I love tuna so I’m sure I would love these!
cute & little
This is an awesome recipe. I love the healthier take on a normally fried salmon pattie. I can’t wait to try this.
Thank you, Ben! 🙂
Looks so good! Can’t wait to try it with my family.
Thank you, Katie! 🙂 🙂
These patties make a great lunch or easy dinner! Lots of flavor.
Thank you!! 🙂 🙂
What a delicious way to enjoy tuna! Loved the flavors together.
Thank you! 🙂