I really enjoy eating black beans, they are definitely my favorite bean. So naturally I would love black bean soup.
This black bean soup recipe is so awesome! It is so incredibly easy to make with just 3 main ingredients and 3 optional seasonings. It is a perfect soup to make for a cold winter day.
Sometimes I call it a “pantry soup” or “food storage soup” because pretty much all of the ingredients came from my food storage. So it is a great way to use up those cans of beans that need to be eaten anyway. If you like soup, you will love this! If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this black bean soup recipe you need just a few ingredients:
- Black beans
- Dice tomatoes in juice
- Chicken broth – You can also use vegetable broth. Use the kind that comes in a box or can, or make your own broth with the bullion cubes and hot water.
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Toppings – Top with cheese, green onion, guacamole or avocado, etc.
- Large pot
- Blender or immersion blender
Step 2: How to make a super easy black bean soup
This soup is incredibly easy to make. Add the black beans to a large pot, I normally use my enameled dutch oven. Drain two of the cans of their liquid. And then use 2 full cans.
Add in the chicken broth or you can use vegetable broth. I use the Knorr brand bouillon cubes and make my own broth with 2 cups of hot water, so you can do that, or use the broth from a can or box.
And then add in the can of diced tomatoes and juice. Add in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That is it!
Set the heat on your burner to medium-high. Then bring the black bean soup mixture to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the temperature to medium-low and allow it to simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
And then the black bean soup is pretty much done. You can serve it like this, or blend it, which is what I always do.
I like my soup with a few chunks in it. Add half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth, then pour it back in with the rest of the soup. If you don’t want any chunks at all, pour that half into a separate bowl, and blend the other half of the soup.
TIP: An immersion blender works well if you have one of those, then you can leave everything in the pot and blend it.
Give the soup a taste, and add any additional seasonings if desired. You shouldn’t need much more salt, but may want to add more, along with more pepper and or garlic powder.
Pour the soup into a bowl and top with cheese, green onion, avocado, etc., if you like. Enjoy!
TIP: For a thicker soup, drain the liquid from all four cans of beans, and just use the beans in the soup.
How long does black bean soup last?
Store the soup in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap in the fridge where it will last 4 to 5 days. Or if you like you can also freeze the soup. Reheat in the microwave, or in a pot on the stovetop.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Gluten Free Caramel Brownies with Black Beans
Black Bean Soup
- Large Pot
- Blender or immersion blender
- 4 15oz/432g cans of black beans
- 1 15oz/411g can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth 480ml
- 1 tsp salt 4g
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper 2g
- 1 tsp garlic powder 4g
- Toppings: Cheese green onion, avocado, etc. (optional)
- Add the black beans to a large pot. Drain two of the cans of their liquid. And then use 2 full cans.Add in the chicken broth or you can use vegetable broth. And then add in the can of diced tomatoes and juice. Add in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. That is it!
- Set the heat on your burner to medium-high. Then bring the mixture to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the temperature to medium-low and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add half of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth, then pour it back in with the rest of the soup. If you don't want any chunks at all, pour that half into a separate bowl, and blend the other half of the soup.
- Give the soup a taste, and add any additional seasonings if desired. Pour the soup into a bowl and top with cheese, green onion, avocado, etc., if you like. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
What an easy & filling recipe! Black beans are my favorite! I will definitely be making this more!
Thank you, Kristyn! 🙂
I am all for using ingredients from the pantry! Luckily, it’s ingredients I have plenty of! It’s a hearty & tasty soup!
Awesome! So glad you like it. I love pantry soups haha
I love soup season for recipes just like this one! Warmed up with this for dinner last night and it didn’t disappoint! So creamy and delicious; the whole family loved it!
So happy you made it and liked it, Sara! 🙂 🙂