Ever since I was a little kid I have enjoyed a variety of pastries. And as an adult, I still enjoy pastries of all kinds! Especially this braided puff pastry recipe.
You can eat them for breakfast or brunch or as dessert in the evening. There are so many different filling options you can try. In this particular recipe I am showing you how to make a strawberry braided puff pastry using a strawberry pie filling.
But you can use an apple pie filling, berry pie filling, cherry, etc. You can use canned or fresh homemade pie filling. I have several other pie recipes that you can choose from if you want to use the filling from one of those. Or maybe you want to try the filling from this cheese danish recipe. Totally up to you!
They are so easy to make and come together in less than 45 minutes, if using pre-made puff pastry sheets. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this delicious strawberry braided puff pastry you need just a handful of ingredients:
- Puff pastry – Use frozen store-bought sheets or make your own homemade puff pastry.
- Pie filling – Use a can of strawberry pie filling, or any number of canned fillings. Or make your own pie filling from scratch.
- Egg – To create the egg wash. This is optional, so if you don’t eat eggs, you can omit this.
- Cinnamon and sugar, powdered sugar, etc. Optional, for the top.
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Basting brush
- Knife or pizza roller
- Wire rack
Step 2: How to make strawberry braided puff pastry at home
Start by taking out the frozen puff pastry and thaw it out for about 30 minutes. Use store-bought or this homemade puff pastry recipe. I generally buy the Pepperidge Farms brand when I am not making it from scratch.
Place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Preheat the oven to 400F/205C.
Now time to use whatever filling that you like. I have so many pie recipes here on Instructables that you can use the filling from those, or store-bought pie filling.
In this example, I just used a yummy strawberry pie filling from a can from Duncan Hines.
If you like you can also do the cream cheese filling from this cheese danish recipe.
Add about 10 ounces or 300 grams of it to the center of the pastry. The folded ones are super nice because it already gives you a guide to follow. You can certainly play with the amount of filling that you use depending on how fat you want them.
Step 3: Cut the puff pastry and braid it
Now time to cut and braid the pastry. On the other two-thirds of the pastry cut about 9 to 10 cuts towards the middle, which will create flaps. You can make them as wide or as narrow as you want.
Then start at one end and fold the first flap at an angle over the middle on top of the topping. Then fold the other one from the other side.
Continue doing that to form the braid. Super easy right? Again, you can use whatever filling you want in the middle.
Step 4: Bake the braided puff pastry
Next, take an egg and beat it with a whisk or fork to create the egg wash. Take a basting brush and brush the egg wash onto the whole top of the pastry. It is ready to go.
An optional step is to shake some cinnamon and sugar on top, or just use larger crystals finishing sugar, or just leave it as is, and top it with powdered sugar later. I really like topping the braided puff pastry with cinnamon and sugar. So yummy!
TIP: For the cinnamon and sugar mix, take an old spice container and fill it most of the way up with white granulated sugar then add a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon and shake. You can even add more cinnamon to it if you like. I like having it handy so I can top treats with it.
Now place it in the oven, middle rack position, and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes until it is nice and golden brown.
Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. I usually lift up the parchment paper with the pastry and place the whole thing on a wire rack to cool completely, but you can just leave it on the sheet pan too if you like.
Once cooled you can cut into it and enjoy it. I usually get 6 servings out of one puff pastry sheet.
There you go, now you know an easy way to create a braided puff pastry for breakfast, dessert, or just a snack.
How long does the braided puff pastry last?
Store the pastry in a ziplock bag or an airtight container for a few days at room temperature, or in the fridge for about 5 days. Eventually the puff pastry will lose its crispiness. They really are the best when enjoyed the same day they are made, however.
Here are other puff pastry recipes you may like:
Braided Puff Pastry
- sheet pan
- parchment paper
- Basting brush
- Knife or pizza roller
- Wire rack
- 1 puff pastry sheet homemade or store-bought approx 10.5 x 9 inches
- 10 oz of strawberry pie filling or use homemade or another pie filling flavor approx 300g
- 1 egg for eggwash
- Cinnamon and sugar optional
- Powdered sugar optional
- Begin by taking out the frozen puff pastry and thaw it out for about 30 minutes. Place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C.
- Add about 10oz or 300 grams of your favorite pie filling to the middle. Fresh or from a can. You can also use a cream cheese danish filling.
- On the other two-thirds of the pastry cut about 9 to 10 cuts towards the middle, which will create flaps. You can make them as wide or as narrow as you want.
- Then start at one end and fold the first flap at an angle over the middle on top of the topping. Then fold the other one from the other side. Continue doing that to form the braid.
- Next, take an egg and beat it with a whisk or fork to create the egg wash. Take a basting brush and brush the egg wash onto the whole top of the pastry. Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar if you like.
- Now place it in the oven, middle rack position, and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes until it is nice and golden brown.
- Cool on the pan or remove it and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.Once cooled you can cut into it and enjoy it. I usually get 6 servings out of one puff pastry sheet.