I am a huge fan of burritos. Shh, don’t tell anyone I still buy those “Tina’s” frozen burritos for like 50 cents on occasion for when I am feeling lazy, haha. Burritos are one of the most popular Mexican foods. With lots of variety. One of my favorite kinds to make is the chicken burrito.
I make this chicken burrito pretty much exactly the same way every time. It is simple, tastes great, and is filling. Also, I like how incredibly easy it is to make.
Time to make my favorite chicken burrito. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started.
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
While there are many types of burritos there are still some common ingredients that seem to be in most varieties. For this chicken burrito you will need the following ingredients:
- Tortillas – You can’t make a burrito without a tortilla. You can buy premade flour tortillas or you can follow this homemade flour torilla recipe if you like.
- Rice – My favorite burritos have rice in them, but not all will have rice. I like to use freshly made long grain white rice. I don’t like sticky rice in my burritos. Follow this recipe to make perfect rice everytime using a rice cooker.
- Beans – I love beans! Black beans are my favorite, so I regularly use those. You can use pinto beans as well. Black and pinto are the most common beans in burritos. You can use the whole beans or refried beans.
- Lettuce – Lettuce is sometimes used and sometimes not. I actually normally substitute spinach for the lettuce, because usually have more fresh spinach on hand than lettuce. A lot of people leave out the greens all together and just save it for tacos.
- Chicken – You can add different meat in your burritos, chicken, ground beef, steak, pork, etc. This is a chicken burrito, so I am using chicken. I usually just grill up a chicken brest on my George Foreman grill and then cut it into long strips. Make sure to season the chicken. To make it even easier buy pre-cooked chicken from the meat department at your grocery store.
- Cheese – Use a Mexican blend of shredded cheese or pure cheddar. Or use something like Jack cheese.
- Avocado – Avocado or homemade guacamole is one of my favorite things to add to my burritos.
- Salsa – And finally you need some yummy salsa. You can make your own homemade salsa or just buy some from the store.
- Sour cream – optional
There are other ingredients you can add as well, burritos are so versatile.
Step 2: How to make a chicken burrito
To make the chicken burrito begin by making your rice first if you are using rice. That takes around 20 minutes or so. I usually make enough rice to have leftovers so I can make fried rice the next day.
If you are making homemade tortillas you will want to make them now, or before preparing the rice.
Cook the chicken or use pre-cooked chicken.
Heat up the black beans in a small pot on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. It will only take 40 to 45 seconds or so to heat it up. Add some salt and pepper to the beans to taste.
Take a tortilla and put it on a plate. Put down about 1/4 cup or so of rice. The amount is entirely up to you, and you can leave it off too.
Then add about the same amount of black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans.
Next add the lettuce or spinach on top, followed by the star of this particular burrito the grilled chicken.
Follow the chicken with the cheese, avocado or guac, and the salsa.
NOTE: You can do this in pretty much any order that you like.
Now I will be honest, I usually pile the fixings on pretty high, making it pretty hard to roll, haha. You can either use really large tortillas or just use fewer fixings in your chicken burrito.
How to roll a burrito
To roll the burrito take the sides and fold them in toward the middle. Then take the bottom and fold it over those and cup and squeeze a little bit then roll.
Once rolled some people will put it on a grill like a George foreman and press and cook the outside a little. Which also can melt the cheese on the inside.
And there you go, that is my favorite basic chicken burrito. So many things you can do with it and prepare it. Enjoy!
How long do chicken burritos last?
A homemade chicken burrito is always best when served right away. But if you store it in an airtight container it will last 3 to 4 days. If you have something like avocado or guacamole on it, that will probably get a little brown. You can also wrap them in foil and freeze them for a few months.
Here are other recipes that you may like:
- 4 large tortillas premade or homemade
- 1 cup White Rice
- 1 cup Black Beans or refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded Spinach or lettuce
- 1 cup Grilled chicken or beef or leave the meat out
- 1 cup Shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite kind of cheese
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 1/2 fresh Avocado or guacamole
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- If using homemade tortillas make those. While you are making those cook the rice
- If grilling your own chicken, do so now. George Foremans are great for this. Or just used already cooked chicken and slice it or shred it.
- In a small bowl heat up the black beans, either in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. Season beans with salt and pepper.
- Add some rice to the middle of a large tortilla. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Next add some black beans, pinto beans, or refired beans on top.
- Add your lettuce or spinach and then the chicken. Top with cheese, sliced avocado or guac, and then your favorite homemade or store-bought salsa.
- To roll the burrito grab both sides and fold in towards the middle. Fold the bottom towards the middle and then cup and squeeze then roll up the burrito fairly tight. Grill both sides of the burrito if desired. Otherwise serve as is. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Check out my other website 101 Creative Dates for fun date ideas. Food and dating go hand in hand!