One of the coolest and incredible cakes you can make is a Chocoflan, also known as the impossible cake. What is chocoflan? Chocoflan is a chocolate cake with a top layer of flan. This chocoflan recipe is incredibly easy to make and is sure to impress your friends and family.
What is really fascinating about this cake is that you put the flan batter on the top layer of the chocolate batter, but when it bakes it all goes to the bottom of the bundt cake pan which winds up being the top of the cake when it is flipped over. Isn’t that incredible? It is very impressive looking and tastes as good as it looks. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this chocoflan recipe you will need a few ingredients and tools:
- Caramel Topping – You can use a store-bought kind or make your own.
- Chocolate cake mix – You can use the store-bought ready-made cake mix or make your own chocolate cake batter from scratch.
- Eggs – The eggs will help make the cake rise as well as act as a binder for the other ingredients.
- Oil – I typically will use vegetable oil, but you can use a variety of other oils too if you like.
- Water – I generally use filtered water because my tap water tastes terrible.
- Eggs – The eggs are the main component for the flan. The eggs are what gels the milk.
- Sweetened condensed milk – The milk is what gives the flan its sweetness.
- Evaporated milk – If you can’t find evaporated milk, you can substitute it with a combination of whole milk and half and half.
- Fluted bundt cake pan
- Roasting pan
Step 2: How to make this chocoflan recipe
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 F/176 C. Next take a bundt cake pan and butter the inside of it or use shortening. This will help the cake to not stick to it. Set the pan aside. Then take a large bowl and add the eggs. Whisk the eggs along with the oil really well. Next, add in the water and combine them all together.
Step 3: Blend in chocolate cake mix
Finish off the chocoflan cake base by adding in the chocolate cake mix to the batter. Use the whisk to mix it all together. Optionally follow the steps for your favorite chocolate cake batter or check out my chocolate cake recipe. Homemade from scratch batter can definitely be used instead of the cake mix.
Step 4: Add the caramel sauce
Next, add in about a fourth of a cup of caramel sauce to the cake pan. You can use the store-bought variety or make a simple caramel on the stovetop with some white granulated sugar and a bit of water. After the caramel sauce is in the pan, cover it with the chocoflan cake batter.
Step 5: Make the flan
Next, it is time to make the flan. Add the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk to a blender. Blend those ingredients on medium high for thirty to forty seconds. Until they are well combined.
Step 6: Finish prepping the chocoflan recipe
Now, pour the flan batter over the chocolate cake batter in the bundt cake pan. And then the magic happens. Notice that before the chocoflan goes into the oven the flan batter is on top of the chocolate cake batter. Which essentially will be the bottom of the cake once it is baked. However, as the cake bakes the flan will go down to the bottom, which will be the top of the cake when it is flipped over. Isn’t that awesome?
Cover the pan with aluminum foil then place the pan in a roasting pan. Add in enough hot water so there is about an inch of water in the roasting pan. The water in the pan will help the cake bake evenly and the flan to turn out correctly. Bake the cake in the oven at 350 F/176 C for 60 to 80 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it. Check the cake after 60 minutes. If it still isn’t done baking, you can bake it longer, with the aluminum foil off.
Once the chocoflan is done baking allow it to cool at room temperature for one hour. Then put it in the fridge to cool completely which will allow the flan to set properly. It should chill for at least 4 hours or even overnight before serving.
Step 7: Serve up a slice of the chocoflan
Take the chocoflan out of the refrigerator. Place a plate or cake pedestal upside down on the cake pan and then gripping both the pedestal or plate with both hands flip it over. Gently lift up the bundt cake pan. And there you have it. I beautiful chocoflan.
Next, slice into that cake and serve it up. You can drizzle more caramel sauce on it if you like.
How long does this chocoflan recipe last?
Because chocoflan has the custard/flan topping it will only last 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Although it is so yummy, I doubt you will have trouble eating it all before then. Store it loosely covered with plastic wrap.
Easy Chocoflan Recipe
- fluted bundt cake pan
- roasting pan
- Caramel Topping or sauce about 1/4 cup, doesn’t need to be exact
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix or use homemade recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water 295ml
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil 118mL
- 4 Large eggs room temp
- 1 can 14 ounces, sweetened condensed milk 396g
- 1 can 12 ounces, evaporated milk 354ml
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl combine the eggs, oil, and water and whisk them together.
- Add the cake mix to the bowl and blend it in. Or follow the directions for a homemade chocolate cake batter.
- Pour about a fourth of a cup of caramel sauce on the bottom of a bundt cake pan that has been greased with butter or shortening. Then pour the chocolate cake batter on top of that.
- Time to make the flan. You can't have chocoflan without flan. In a blender add the room temp eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk and blend for 30 to 40 seconds until well combined.
- Pour the flan over the cake batter.
- Place the pan in a roasting pan and add about an inch deep of hot water to the roasting pan. Cover the bundt cake with aluminum foil.
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes. Then remove the foil and check it with a toothpick. Most likely it won't be done yet. Replace the cake in the oven and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes with the foil off.
- Once the cake is done allow it to cool in the pan at room temp for one hour. Then place it in the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours. Now slice into it and eat it! Enjoy!
Do you like the chocoflan recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: