There is something comforting about having homemade muffins in the morning. Do you like chocolate? How about bananas? I love both so of course, I would like this chocolate banana muffins recipe.
Do you normally make banana bread with those dark brown ripe bananas? Time to switch it up and make these incredible muffins. They are packed with rich chocolate flavor. If I can do it, you can do it! Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make chocolate banana muffins you need the following ingredients and tools:
- Melted butter – I recommend using unsalted butter for these. But if you only have salted you can use it.
- White granulated sugar – These muffins need some sweetness. After you make them the first time, you can choose to reduce or add more sugar the next time. In case your muffins aren’t sweet enough or are too sweet for you.
- Vanilla extract – The ultimate flavor enhancer.
- Egg – The egg will add texture and act as a leavening agent. It will also help bind the other ingredients together.
- Sour cream – this will make the muffins moister and add a hint of zing. Use this homemade sour cream if you like.
- Very ripe bananas – You know those really dark looking bananas that have been sitting on your counter for a few weeks. The ones that are all soft and squishy, yeah those, they are perfect, so don’t throw them out.
- All-purpose flour – Also referred to as “plain flour”. This gives the muffins most of their body and structure.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Definitely the star of this recipe. You can’t have chocolate banana muffins without cocoa powder. Just make sure you don’t use the cocoa powder which is for making chocolate milk.
- Baking soda – helps with leavening and browning
- Baking powder – also helps with leavening
- Salt – another flavor enhancer. The salt brings out the flavor of the other ingredients. It will also provide a balance to the sweetness.
- Chocolate chips – oh yeah to make these muffins extra chocolatey. You can use semi-sweet, dark, white, or milk chocolate chips.
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- sifter or whisk
- muffin pan
- muffin cups
- meat tenderizer
Step 2: How to make chocolate banana muffins
Start by preheating the oven to 350 F (176 C). Melt your butter, either in the microwave or on the stovetop, and pour it into a large bowl.
Add your sugar to the butter and cream those ingredients together with your mixer or a wooden spoon. If you would like your muffins to be less sweet reduce the amount of sugar by 1/4th of a cup.
Step 3: Eggs and Bananas
Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and sour cream and mix until well combined. Now it is time to mash up those bananas.
Since they are already very ripe they should be easy to mash up using a fork. I like to use a meat tenderizer, however, just because I can. So just peel them and mash them until you get a nice banana paste texture.
Scrape those bananas into your bowl with the other ingredients and again mix until combined. Don’t over mix the batter. If you are using a hand mixer or stand mixer after mixing in the bananas put the mixer away. This will help ensure overmixing doesn’t occur.
Step 4: Sifting the banana muffins dry ingredients
Next, place all of your dry ingredients in a sifter and sift them into your bowl with the batter. Or alternatively, if you don’t have a sifter, whisk them together in a separate bowl first.
This is important because unsweetened cocoa powder tends to get a bit clumpy. Stir the ingredients in with a wooden spoon or strong spatula until all combined.
Step 5: Oh so yummy chocolate chips
Time to amp up the chocolate flavor by mixing in the chocolate chips. It is up to you what flavor of chocolate chips that you want to use. Sometimes I will use a combination of semi-sweet and milk chocolate. Pour in all but about 1/4 of a cup. We will add those to the top later.
Step 6: Fill up the cups with chocolate banana muffin batter
Now we just take the muffin pan and place the paper cups in it. Fill up each cup about 2/3rds of the way full first then come back around and use the remaining batter. You should wind up with 12 full cups. Once you are done sprinkle the top with the leftover chocolate chips.
Step 7: Bake those chocolate banana muffins
Place the muffins in the preheated oven (350 F/176 C) and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked. Once they are baked remove them from the oven and allow them to cool before serving them. Enjoy!
How long do chocolate banana muffins last?
If stored in an airtight container at room temperature the muffins will last about 2 days at room temperature. If stored in the fridge they will last about a week.
Can I freeze the muffins?
Yes you can freeze the muffins. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze them, where they will last for up to 3 months.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- sifter or whisk
- Muffin pan
- muffin cups
- 1/2 cup butter melted (113g)
- 3/4 cup of white granulated sugar 170g
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract 5ml
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream 123g
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose plain flour (192g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 25g
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda 3g
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder 3g
- 1/2 tsp. table salt 3g
- 1 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet, milk chocolate, dark, white (175g)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C). Melt the butter and cream it together with the sugar in a large bowl. Use a mixer or wooden spoon.
- Next add in the egg, vanilla extract, and sour cream and mix that in until just combined.
- Peel and mash up the ripe bananas. Use or fork, rolling pin, or meat tenderizer. Add the bananas to the batter and mix until just combined. Put the mixer away now if you are using one. We don't want to over mix the batter.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder into the bowl. Or place them in a separate bowl and whisk them together, then add to the main bowl. Stir those ingredients in with a wooden spoon or strong spatula until just combined.
- Add all but about 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips and stir them in. Use whatever flavor of chocolate chips you want. To make these a little more healthy use sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Place 12 paper cups in the muffin pan and fill them up with batter. Then top them off with the remaining chocolate chips. In to the oven they go.
- Bake them for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean after being poked. Let the muffins cool before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few other recipes you make like:
I just made them. Not sure why but I got 18 full muffins from the recipe. They were all full sized and delicious!
Glad you tried them and liked them. It depends on your muffin pan and how much you fill each up. Great you wound up with more!
Now you are talking my language. Banana and chocolate – yes please…these sound like my idea of heaven xx
Thanks Melanie! 🙂
Chocolate and banana go together so well. These muffins are a great way to help ensure the kiddos are getting some potassium in too.
I agree chocolate and bananas go very well together! 🙂
that looks really good. my daughter would love to make that with me. she loves to be my helper. i’ll have to make this our project this coming weekend.
Thanks Katrina! 🙂 That is awesome that you have your daughter as your helper. 🙂
I need this in my mouth right now. These muffins sound heavenly!!!
Thank you Melanie!! 🙂 They are pretty yummy. 🙂
I love both chocolate and bananas so this recipe is right up my alley. Sounds like a fun recipe to make for a pot luck!
hehehe can’t go wrong with chocolate and bananas! 🙂 Oh yeah it would be perfect for a pot luck. 🙂
These look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe and making it look so simple:).
Thanks Desiree! You are very welcome. 🙂
I love Chocolate Banana Muffins! It’s fun as a giveaway to family and friends. I hope I can bake it soon.
Great Emman! 🙂 Definitely a great idea to give these to friends and family. They will love it! 🙂
These chocolate banana muffins were fantastic! So easy to make and delicious!
Thank you Eden! 🙂 I am happy you like them. 🙂
These chocolate banana muffins are making my mouth water. They would be perfect for making for the family during the holidays.
Thank you! I agree perfect for the holidays! 🙂
Yum! I am saving this recipe! Perhaps I will make these during the Christmas holidays. My husband, daughter, and father would like them!
Thank you! Let me know how they turn out if you wind up making them. 🙂
These muffins are so chocolatey and moist! Your photos making the recipe so easy too. We loved them!
Thank you Toni! So glad you like them. 🙂
These look delish. I love banana muffins. Thank you for the detailed steps and recipe b
Thank you! You are welcome. 🙂
This looks like a great recipe, i have some overly ripe bananas that would be perfect for this. can i ask why you melt the butter first for this recipe?
Thanks Emily!! 🙂 You can use softened butter as well, it doesn’t have to be melted.
This is great for breakfast! I dunno why but chocolate and banana is truly a wonderful combo together!
Thanks! I know right? Bananas and chocolate are the perfect combo! 🙂
These muffins are scrumptious! Thank you for the recipe, Matt!
Thank you, Anna!! 🙂 And you are so very welcome. 🙂