I am a huge fan of cake. And this triple chocolate cheesecake recipe does not disappoint. In fact, it is my favorite cheesecake recipe!
Growing up cheesecake wasn’t my favorite, I preferred more traditional chocolate cake or angel food cake. But as I got older I learned to appreciate and even crave cheesecake, especially chocolate cheesecake.
This triple chocolate cheesecake is so rich and decadent and bursting with chocolate flavor. If you are a cake and cheesecake lover you have got to try this out. It is easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this amazing chocolate cheesecake. you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- Oreo cookies – Or you could also use chocolate graham crackers or plain graham crackers, ginger snaps, etc.
- Butter – Use salted or unsalted butter
- Cream cheese – You can’t have chocolate cheesecake without the cream cheese!
- Eggs – Make sure they are room temperature.
- Cocoa powder – Make sure this is the unsweetened cocoa powder used in baking, not the chocolate milk powder used to make instant chocolate milk.
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate – I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate as well.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Fruit – I love to use raspberries or strawberries.
How to make chocolate cheesecake
Begin by preheating the oven to 320 F/160 C. Take the Oreo cookies and put them in a food processor or you can use a large bag and just smash them with a rolling pin or something. Pulse the cookies until they are broken up into nice crumbs.
Melt the butter and pour it in the with crumbs then blend until well incorporated. It will resemble damp sand.
Next, take the 10 inch Springform pan and cover the bottom and sides with 3 to 4 layers of aluminum foil. This will help to make it water tight. Some springform pans are better than others for keeping water out. Only do this if you decide to use the water bath.
Spray the inside of the pan with cooking spray or spread butter around it. This will ensure the cheesecake doesn’t stick to the sides. Pour the cookie crumbs mixture into the pan and spread it out evenly then press it down firmly with the back or a spoon or bottom of a measuring cup or glass.
Bake the crust in the oven for about 8 minutes. Once done remove it from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: Make the triple chocolate cheesecake filling
Time to make the chocolate cheesecake filling. Add the softened room temperature cream cheese to a large bowl and mix it with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth.
Now add in the sugar and mix. Sift the cocoa powder into the bowl and mix. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed to ensure everything gets mixed properly. Don’t over mix the filling, just until combined. Over-mixing can lead to cracks later when it bakes.
It isn’t the end of the world if you get cracks, it won’t affect the taste, and it will be covered with chocolate ganache anyways.
Mix in the room temperature eggs, one at a time, again scraping the bowl as needed. Now add in the vanilla extract. Melt the chocolate or chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or use the double boiler method on the stovetop. In the microwave, heat for 30 seconds, then stir, heat for 30 seconds, stir, etc. until completely melted.
Allow the melted chocolate to cool a bit, it shouldn’t be hot when poured into the filling. Pour it in the bowl and mix it until just combined. You can also just stir it in with a spatula. And just like that the chocolate cheesecake filling is complete and ready to go.
Step 4: Bake the triple chocolate cheesecake
Pour the filling into the springform pan and spread it out so it is even on the top. Then place the pan in a large roasting pan. Add really hot water to the pan until it is about 1/2 to 1 inch deep. This water bath creates a humid environment inside the oven which helps the cake bake evenly and helps prevents cracks.
You can skip the foil, the roasting pan, and water, if you don’t want to do the water bath method. Just place the pan as is on the middle rack in the oven.
Bake the chocolate cheesecake for 45 to 50 minutes, still at 320 F/160 C. There should be a slight jiggle in the middle. Turn off the oven and let it sit in the hot oven for 30 minutes.
After that crack open the open door and hold it open with a wooden spoon and allow the cake to slowly cool down for another 30 minutes. Then you can take it out of the oven and cool completely. This really helps to prevent the cracks on top of the cake.
Step 5: Make the ganache
Now it is time to make a simple chocolate ganache. Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Heat the cream up in the microwave for about a minute until it is very hot, or heat it up in a pot on the stovetop until it starts to bubble. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes stir the chocolate and the cream until you are left with a nice dark smooth ganache.
Now all you need to do is pour the ganache on top of the chocolate cheesecake and spread it out evenly. I don’t usually go all the way to the edge, but you can do it how you want. I also like to place raspberries in the middle or strawberries. The fruit and the ganache are optional for that matter, but I always add them.
Cover the cake and place it in the fridge for several hours, even overnight. When cutting the cake to serve it dip your knife in really hot water, then wipe it off with a paper towel before cutting a slice, this will make a cleaner cut. Serve it up and enjoy!
How long does chocolate cheesecake last?
Cover the cake and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or this cake freezes incredibly well. You can freeze the whole thing, or I like to place individual slices in little containers and freeze them. It will last a few months.
Here are a few more cake recipes you may like:
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
- 10-inch Springform pan
- Food processor
- Hand mixer
- Aluminum foil
- roasting pan
Oreo Cookie Crust
- 24 Oreo Cookies or you can use chocolate graham crackers, ginger snaps, etc.
- 1/4 cup of butter melted (60g)
Chocolate Cheesecake Filling
- 24 ounces cream cheese room temp! (3 packages here in the States) (680 grams)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar 200g
- 3 large eggs room temp!
- 2 Tbsp. Coco powder unsweetened (15g)
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract 10 mL
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1 11.5 ounce bag (325g)
Ganache and Topping (optional)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chocolate chips, chocolate bars, etc. (116g)
- 1/2 cup hot heavy whipping cream 120 mL (100g)
- Fruit (raspberries, strawberries, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 320 F/160 C. Crush up the Oreo cookies in a food processor or in a plastic bag. Then melt the butter and add it to the cookie crumbs. Mix until well combined. It will resemble damp sand when done.
- Wrap a 10 inch springform pan in foil 3 to 4 layers. And spray the inside with cooking spray or spread butter all around it. Pour the crumbs in and level them out, then pack them down with the back of a spoon or back of a glass. Bake for 8 minutes in the oven. Then remove it and let it cool to room temperature. Note: If you aren't using the water bath, don't wrap the pan in foil.
- Mix the softened room temp cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy. Then add in the sugar and sift in the cocoa powder. Mix until just combined. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix them followed by the vanilla extract until just combined. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or use a double boiler on the stovetop. For the microwave use bursts of 30 seconds, then stir, etc. until the chocolate is melted. Pour the chocolate in with the filling and mix until just combined.
- Add the filling to the pan and spread it out evenly. Place the pan inside of a large roasting pan. Pour really hot water in the pan until it is about 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Skip this if you don't want to do the water bath. Bake in the oven 320 F/160 C for 45 minutes, until slightly jiggly in the middle. Turn off the oven and allow it to continue baking for 30 more minutes. Crack open the oven door with a wooden spoon and let it cool for 30 more minutes. Then remove it and let it cool completely at room temperature. This helps to prevent cracks.
- Add the chocolate chips or broken up chocolate bars to a small bowl. Heat up the cream in the microwave or stovetop. About a minute in the microwave, until there are little bubbles and it is steaming. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Stir with a spoon until it is dark and smooth.
- Now spread the ganache on top of the cake. You are done! If you want you can add in some raspberries or other fruit now in the middle. Some people like to just add fruit on the top afterward when serving. Cover up the cake and place in the fridge for several hours to set. Then serve! Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.