I love granola bars, they are such a yummy snack. This particular recipe is for homemade chocolate granola bars. While they don’t have granola in them per se, I still call them granola bars, haha.
There are so many different types of granola bars out there. Lots of different flavors and ingredients, something for everyone. Chocolate granola bars are such a great snack to have at home, while hiking, or just out on a walk or something.
And the best part is, they are very easy to make at home. Want a more healthy granola bar? Try out this awesome keto granola bar or this regular-style homemade granola bar. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these chocolate granola bars, you need just eight easy to find ingredients:
- Oats – Use the old-fashioned 100% whole grained kind. If you are gluten-free just make sure it says “Certified Gluten-Free” on the packaging.
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Bananas – Make sure they are really ripe.
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips – You can use whatever chocolate chips that you like, I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Granola bar pan: www.granolabarpan.com or use a brownie pan with parchment paper
- Food processor or blender
Step 2: How to make homemade chocolate granola bars
Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
Add the oats to a food processor or blender and blend really well until it becomes almost like flour. It only takes a few seconds.
Now add the unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder to the food processor and pulse. Or you could just whisk them together instead.
Pour the dry ingredients out of the food processor into a large bowl. Then add the ripe bananas to the food processor. Also, add the honey and vanilla extract. Blend until well combined, 15 to 20 seconds is all that it needs.
NOTE: Allow the bananas to ripen until the peel is pretty dark, then place the whole thing in the freezer for later use. Don’t throw away those dark bananas! They are great for granola bars and banana bread/muffins.
Pour the banana mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Then add in the chocolate chips and mix together with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Just like that, the chocolate granola bars batter is ready to go. Super easy right?
Step 3: Bake the chocolate granola bars
Fill up the granola bar pan or use a brownie pan with parchment paper. Then bake it on the middle rack of the oven at 350 F (176 C) for 14 to 18 minutes until when you poke it with a toothpick it comes out clean.
Once baked allow the chocolate granola bars to cool completely. If you try and cut into them or take them out of the pan at this stage they are liable to fall apart, which is no fun. It will still taste the same, however, in case that does happen.
Once cooled remove the chocolate granola bars from whatever pan you used, if you used a normal baking pan, now you can slice them up however you like.
An optional step I like to do is drizzle some white chocolate on top. I like to do this because it makes them look a bit fancier. And I like the contrast between the dark and light. Enjoy! 🙂
How long do homemade chocolate granola bars last?
If stored in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag, they will last 5 to 7 days in the fridge. They can also be frozen for a few months.
Here are other recipes that you may like:
Chocolate Granola Bars
- Granola bar/chocolate bar pan or use a brownie pan with parchment paper
- Food processor or blender
- 1 cup of rolled oats Old-fashioned 100% whole grained (90g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder 2g
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda 2g
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract 5ml
- 1/4 cup of honey 85g
- 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips 40g
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176C). Add the oats to a food processor or blender and blend them until they become like flour. Then add the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder and blend until just combined. Pour those ingredients into a large bowl.
- Now add the ripe bananas to the food processor and add in the honey and vanilla extract. Turn the food processor on and mix until combined. It only takes 10 to 20 seconds.
- Add your banana mixture to your oats mixture as well as your chocolate chips and combine them all with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Fill up a granola bar pan/chocolate bar pan or an 8x8 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake on the middle rack for 14 to 18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely before removing them from the pan. If you use a baking pan you can cut them into rectangles now.
- Drizzle some white chocolate if you like on top. I like to do this because it makes them look a bit fancier. Enjoy! 🙂
Do you like this chocolate granola bars recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Check out my other website 101 Creative Dates for fun date ideas. Food and dating go hand in hand!