So rich, creamy, and delightful, this homemade chocolate ice cream recipe only requires 3, yes 3 ingredients. And you don’t have to have an ice cream machine to make it. If you love ice cream and chocolate you have got to give this simple recipe a try.
I love making chocolate ice cream at home in a couple of different ways, like this of course, and also ice cream in a bag. I might be partial to this 3-ingredient chocolate ice cream recipe, however. It just turns out so smooth and amazing, but you can’t go wrong with either!
Also if you don’t eat eggs this is perfect for you, because there are no eggs in this recipe. You can serve it by itself or even have it with a slice of homemade chocolate cake for some chocolate overload goodness. Would you rather have vanilla ice cream? Great, try this 3 ingredient vanilla ice cream recipe, it is close to the same but with vanilla flavor!
If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Chocolate Ice Cream Ingredients and Equipment
In order to make this 3-ingredient chocolate ice cream from scratch you will need the following:
- Heavy whipping cream – I just buy the normal store brand, but if you have a favorite brand use that. You can’t make ice cream without the cream!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Traditional ice cream uses milk and sugar in addition to other ingredients. Why this chocolate ice cream recipe works is the sweetened condensed milk takes the place of those other two ingredients. And you don’t have to heat up the milk to dissolve the sugar. The can of condensed milk is all ready to go, so it is so much faster.
- Cocoa powder – Use unsweetened cocoa powder, not the kind of powder used for instant chocolate milk or hot chocolate. But the kind used for baking.
- Mixer – I use my hand mixer, but a stand mixer will work great as well.
- Container for ice cream, with a lid if possible
- Plastic wrap
How to make chocolate ice cream at home with just 3 ingredients
Add all the heavy whipping cream to a large bowl. Mix for several minutes with a hand mixer or stand mixer until you have light fluffy whipped cream with stiff peaks.
NOTE: This is very hard to do by hand with just a whisk, but you are welcome to try it.
Stiff peaks mean the little peaks created when you pull the beaters out of the whipped cream do not curl over.
Now add all of the sweetened condensed milk into a separate bowl along with the cocoa powder. Mix until well combined. It will resemble thick melted chocolate.
NOTE: If you add the cocoa powder a little at a time, it will mix in without spraying a cloud of cocoa powder, haha. I am a little impatient so I usually just dump it all in. A larger bowl also helps so dust of cocoa powder doesn’t fly out of the bowl while mixing.
Now pour the chocolate condensed milk mixture over the whipped cream and use a spatula and fold them together.
Don’t use the mixer and don’t use a whisk or stir like crazy, that will ruin the fluffy air you got into the whipped cream. Keep folding until there are no streaks of white from the whipped cream.
And just like that, the chocolate ice cream base is done and ready. Super easy right?
TIP: If you would like to add chocolate chunks, chocolate chips, or chocolate shavings, fold them in at this point as well.
Freeze and serve!
Pour the chocolate ice cream base into a container that has a lid. Place plastic wrap on top making sure it touches the top of the ice cream, this will help prevent freezer burn and ice crystals from forming.
Then add the lid. If you don’t have a lid you can use use the plastic wrap by itself. There are several options for containers that you can use to store and freeze the ice cream. Something simple like a metal rectangle or square baking pan will work great.
Freeze for 4 to 6 hours or overnight. If you like it more soft serve consistency, you can remove it a little sooner.
Now time to eat that ice cream! Remove the lid and plastic wrap and then scoop out the ice cream.
You may need to set it out for 10 to 15 minutes first to soften it before scooping. You can also dip your scoop in hot water.
How long does homemade chocolate ice cream last?
Not very long in my house and I live by myself! haha. Homemade chocolate ice cream and just homemade ice cream generally last about 2 weeks in the freezer after it is made. After that, the texture of the ice cream starts to change, and more and more ice crystals are introduced, no matter how careful you are. But the changes are, you will eat it long before then.
Here are other ice cream-related and other dessert recipes you may like:
Stir-Fried Ice Cream (Ice Cream Rolls)
Strawberry Icebox Cake Only 3 Ingredients
3-Ingredient Chocolate Ice Cream
- Container for ice cream, with lid if possible
- Plastic wrap
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream 16oz or 473ml
- 1 – 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk 396g
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder 50g
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl and beat/mix until you have stiff peaks.
- Add all the sweetened condensed milk to a separate bowl along with the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk mixture with the whipped cream using a spatula until there are no streaks of white anymore. Don't use a mixer or whisk!
- The ice cream base is ready. Pour it into a container that is freezer safe. Place plastic wrap on top so it touches the ice cream. Put a lid on if you have it.
- Freeze for 4 to 6 hours until firm or even overnight. Set it out for a few minutes to soften before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like the easy shortbread cookies recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. Save the Pin to Pinterest! If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Check out my other website 101 Creative Dates for fun date ideas. Food and dating go hand in hand!
It’s a great recipe for my kids, thank you.
This is so decadent and so easy! Will totally make again
So glad you tried this 3 ingredients homemade chocolate ice cream and liked it!! 🙂
This chocolate ice cream is so good and definitely so much better than storebought. I’ll use this recipe from now on since it’s very easy to make!
Thank you, Natasha! So glad you like it. 🙂 🙂
Oh, man! Three ingredient chocolate ice cream is da bomb! Totally going to make this recipe again!
Thank you, Erin!! Glad you tried it and liked it!
So easy to make, I can’t believe it! I will be making this all the time now, thank you!
You are welcome! Glad you like this 3 ingredient chocolate ice cream!
I love the recipes
Thank you so much! 🙂