Don’t let the name Christmas Crack fool you, you don’t have to make this amazing dessert, only during the holidays. Make this easy recipe any time of year!
Also known as saltine cracker candy or saltine cracker toffee, this recipe for Christmas crack is super duper simple to make. If you are not familiar with this type of candy it is saltine crackers covered by a layer of caramel and then a layer of chocolate.
Oftentimes there are other fun toppings on Christmas crack like nuts, coconut, and white chocolate. It makes a great gift for families, friends, and neighbors, especially during the holiday season.
Saltine cracker toffee is so easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
To make saltine cracker toffee or Christmas Crack you need just a handful of ingredients. You could even make it with just three ingredients if you wanted!
- Saltine crackers – Buy the store brand or get the original premium Nabisco saltine crackers.
- Caramel – Buy the Kraft brand of caramels, or another brand, or make homemade caramel.
- Chocolate – You can use whatever chocolate you like. I like to use milk chocolate chips. But dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, candy bars, etc, will work too.
- Nuts – Chopped pecans, peanuts, almonds, etc. optional
- Coconut flakes – optional
- White chocolate – Or use white candy melts to drizzle on top, optional.
- Any other toppings you may like to add, crushed candy canes, pretzels, holiday sprinkles, etc.
- 13×9 inch baking pan or a sheet pan, cookie sheet, baking sheet, etc.
- Parchment paper or use non-stick cooking spray
- Piping bag or a plastic bag, optional
- Microwave-safe bowl or pot for stovetop burner
Step 2: How to make Christmas Crack or Saltine Cracker Toffee
Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Or you can certainly just use a sheet pan or cookie sheet and line it with a silicone mat.
Add several saltine crackers (25 to 30 of them) flat on the bottom of the pan in a single layer. If you want you can break them in half and fill any gaps on the edges. But that isn’t necessary.
Add the milk and caramel to a bowl. I normally use about 25 of the small individually wrapped Kraft brand caramels. You can use those or another brand of caramel if you like. Or you can certainly use the homemade caramel from this caramel apple recipe.
Melt the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave using bursts of 30 seconds and then stirring. Or melt them in a pot on medium-low heat on the stovetop burner.
Once completely melted and hot, pour the caramel over the crackers. Then spread it out in and even layer with a spatula.
While the caramel is still hot, immediately sprinkle the room temperature chocolate chips on top. Or you can certainly just melt the chocolate in the microwave like you did the caramel, or with a double boiler on the stovetop.
If you sprinkle them on, allow them to sit for about 5 minutes. The heat from the caramel will soften the chocolate chips to make them spreadable.
Step 3: Finish the Christmas Crack candy
Now use a spatula and spread out the melted chocolate chips to make the chocolate layer. An offset cake spatula works great for this. If it isn’t spreading, then you can pop the pan in the oven on broil for 30 seconds to a minute, to melt the chocolate. Just keep an eye on it, it can burn easily in the oven.
Or like I mentioned above, just melt the chocolate first then spread it on top of the caramel.
Now you can sprinkle toppings like chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, etc.) on top of the chocolate layer. Another nice topping is coconut flakes. Or something like chopped candy canes or peppermint candies, pretzels, etc.
After that, if you like you can melt some white chocolate or white candy melts and then drizzle that on top. All these toppings are optional.
Once done, place the pan in the fridge so it can set, for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Once the chocolate has set, it is time to cut it up. Just lift on the parchment paper and pull the whole thing out. Use a knife and cut it up however you like. The recipe makes about 24 to 28 servings. And there you go the perfect super easy holiday treat. Enjoy!
How long does Christmas Crack Saltine Cracker Candy last?
If you store it in an airtight container in a cool place like a pantry or the fridge it will last a few weeks. When you want to eat it, just remove it from the fridge and let it sit out for about 5 minutes. Or you can eat it cold, but the caramel will be a little harder.
Can I use other crackers to make this?
Sure! Feel free to experiment with whatever crackers you like. Graham crackers will work well, Clubhouse crackers, Ritz crackers, and other salty crackers will work too.
Here are other Christmas treats and holiday recipes you may like:
Christmas Crack (Saltine Cracker Candy)
- 13×9 inch baking pan or a sheet pan, cookie sheet, etc.
- parchment paper
- piping bag or a plastic bag, optional
- microwave-safe bowl or pot for stovetop burner
- 24 to 30 saltine crackers
- 1 cup caramel I used the kraft brand or you can use homemade(340g) this doesn’t have to be exact
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips candy melts, chocolate bars, etc. (170 to 255g) this doesn’t have to be exact
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. milk or cream 15 to 30ml
- Nuts optional
- Coconut flakes optional
- White chocolate/candy melts optional
- Line a 13×9-inch pan with parchment paper or use a sheet pan or cookie sheet. Then lay out the crackers flat.
- Place the caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it using bursts of 30 seconds and stirring, until completely melted. Or do it in a pot with medium-low heat on a burner.
- Pour the hot caramel over the crackers and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the layer of hot caramel. Then all it to sit for 5 minutes. Or just melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave like the caramels, or using the double boiler method.
- Spread the softened chocolate chips or melted chocolate evenly using a spatula.
- Sprinkle on toppings like chopped nuts, coconut flakes, white chocolate, candy canes, etc.
- Place the pan in the fridge for at least 20 minutes so the chocolate can set. Then cut and serve. Enjoy!
Do you like this Christmas crack recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.