These crispy microwave potato chips are awesome! They come together in minutes and it is great way to make a quick batch of homemade potato chips.
I love potato chips! Especially amazing homemade potato chips. While I do like the classic potato chips better, they take a lot longer to make than these crispy microwave potato chips. So I love making these when I am in a hurry and just want a quick salty snack.
They are so incredibly easy to make, with just a few ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make crispy microwave potato chips at home, you need just a handful of everyday ingredients that you probably already have at home:
- Potatoes – I normally use Russet potatoes, but you can use pretty much any variety that you want, you can even use sweet potatoes if you like.
- Favorite toppings (garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, parmesan, etc.)
- Cooking spray or oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, etc.)
- Mandolin Slicer or use a knife
- Microwave-safe plate
Step 2: How to make crispy potato chips in the microwave
Begin by washing your potato or potatoes. I usually just do one per person, which seems to work well. Peel the potato if you like. I always just leave the peel on. Then slice the potatoes really thin. A Mandolin Slicer works really well for this. But you can always just use a knife as well.
The potato slices should be pretty thin between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch thick. If they are thicker then that they will have a hard time getting crispy.
Now you have a couple of options, spray a microwave-safe plate with cooking spray, which is pretty much just oil. Then lay the potato slices on the plate in one layer. You can also line the plate with parchment paper. Sprinkle a bit of salt on them
Or you can drizzle the potato slices in the bowl with some olive oil or another oil, and lightly coat the potato slices. Toss them with a pinch of salt as well, before putting them on the plate.
Place the plate of potato slices in the microwave and cook them on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until they get golden brown and crispy. The time will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave. So keep an eye on them.
Once they are done, remove them from the microwave, the plate may be hot, so use a hot mitt, pour them into a bowl and proceed with more potato slices, until you are done making the chips.
Sprinkle more salt on as desired, or other toppings like, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, paprika, different popcorn seasonings like cheddar cheese powder, ranch, etc. Enjoy!
If you love classic potato chips make sure to try out these thin crispy potato chips. They are some of my all time favorite snacks.
How long do crispy microwave potato chips last?
If stored in an airtight container the chips will stay crispy for a few days. Most likely you will eat them all by then.
Here are some other snack recipes you may like:
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Crispy Microwave Potato Chips
- Mandolin slicer or knife
- Microwave-safe plate
- Parchment paper (optional)
- 1 Potato Russet, Yukon, Sweet, etc.
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Favorite toppings garlic powder, etc.
- 1 tsp. oil or cooking spray olive, vegetable, canola, coconut, avocado, etc.
- Begin by washing the potatoes. Peel them if desired. Then cut them into really thin slices (1/16th to 1/8th inch), a mandolin works great for this, or use a knife.
- Place them in a bowl with a pinch of salt and the oil and toss until evenly coated. Or spray a microwave-safe plate with cooking spray. Lay the potato slices down in one single layer on the plate and sprinkle salt on top. You will have to do a few batches, they won't all fit on the plate. You can also use a piece of parchment paper on the plate.
- Put the plate in the microwave and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove them from the microwave, use a hot mitt if the plate is too hot. Pour them in a bowl and season more with salt or other seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
This was genius, I did not know you could make potato chips in the microwave, this was so simple and yummy this is the perfect way to curb my midnight chip cravings.
Thank you, Lily!
I had no idea you could make crispy potato chips in the microwave! Brillant idea. Thanks!
Thank you, Erin!
Love the idea of making potato chips in the microwave! So cool!
Thank you, Anna! 🙂