One of my favorite side dishes or appetizers to get are breadsticks. I have fond memories eating them at Olive garden and Little Caeser’s. These homemade easy breadsticks are amazing and simple to make with few ingredients!
Homemade breadsticks covered in butter and sprinkled with garlic powder dipped in from-scratch pizza sauce is pure heaven. Carb overload at its finest. I am addicted to eating bread and these totally hit the spot. Give these a try! If I can do it you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these easy breadsticks you need the following everyday ingredients:
- Flour – I use bread flour, but All-purpose/plain flour will work too.
- Butter – Either salted or unsalted is fine.
- Water -- Filtered water is my choice because my tap water tastes terrible.
- Yeast – Any yeast will work, I normally use active dry yeast.
- Melted garlic for topping
- Garlic powder
Step 2: How to make this easy breadsticks recipe
Begin by heating up the water, either in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. The temp should be like warm bath water, between 100 and 110 F (37 – 43 C). Next add the sugar to the water and the yeast. Give it a good stir and then let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it gets nice and foamy/frothy.
Activating the yeast is always a good idea, this is how you can be sure the yeast is not bad/old.
Step 3: Make that dough
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and the salt. Then in a large bowl add the foamy yeast mixture. Melt the butter until just barely melted and not very hot and add it to the bowl with the yeast.
Add the flour mixture a third of it at a time until the dough comes together. Use a wooden spoon to mix the dough or a stand mixer. You will probably have some flour leftover which you will knead into the dough.
Step 4: Knead the breadsticks dough
Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead the dough. Fold the dough over onto itself, then press down and out, stretching the dough, give it a quarter turn, then repeat. Or you can also use a stand mixer with a dough hook. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
Next, take the kneaded dough and shape it into a ball. Then place it in a large bowl with a tsp or two of oil. Coat the dough in oil and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel.
Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
Step 5: Shape the easy breadsticks
Once the dough has risen, place it on a work surface and add flour as needed to keep it from sticking. Shape the dough into a long log. Then cut it with a knife or Dough Cutter into 12 to 16 equal parts depend on how large you want the homemade breadsticks.
Take each individual piece of dough and roll it in your hands until it is long and thin and then place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Cover them loosely with plastic wrap or a damp clean cloth and allow them to rise for another hour.
Step 6: Bake those breadsticks
Once they have risen, preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C. Melt some butter and then baste the tops of the breadsticks with the butter. Bake them in the oven, middle rack position, for 12 to 14 minutes until nice and golden brown on top.
And when they come out of the oven, baste them again with butter. Next, sprinkle the tops of the breadsticks with garlic powder.
Let them cool for a few minutes and then they will be ready to eat. You can eat them as is, sprinkle some parmesan cheese on them, and also dip them in your favorite marinara sauce. Eat your heart out, Olive Garden. Enjoy!
How long do these homemade breadsticks last?
If stored in a ziplock bag or in a Tupperware container, they will last 4 to 5 days at normal room temperature. You may also freeze them if you like.
- Dough cutter or knife
- Plastic wrap or damp cloth
- sheet pan
- parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Basting brush
- Stand mixer with dough hook (optional)
- 3 cups of Bread Flour 360g
- 1/4 cup of softened or melted butter 55g
- 2 Tbsp of granulated sugar 25g
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp of water 250ml
- 1 tsp of active dry yeast 3g
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of salt 6g
- 2 tbsp of melted butter 28g
- pinch of garlic powder or garlic salt
- Begin by heating the water in a bowl in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. Heat it to 100 to 110 F (37 to 43 C). Add the sugar and yeast and stir it. Then let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it gets foamy/frothy.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and salt and mix.
- In a large bowl add the yeast mixture. Melt the butter until just barely melted, make sure it isn't hot. Then add it to the bowl with the yeast. Add the flour mixture a third at a time until a dough forms. Leave a few tablespoons leftover.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes adding the leftover flour as necessary to keep it from sticking.
- Shape the kneaded dough into a ball and add to a large bowl with a tsp or two of oil. Coat the dough in oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Once the dough has risen, shape it into a long log and cut it into 12 to 16 equal pieces depending on how large you want them. Roll out each piece into a long snake and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. You will need two pans or use the same pan and wait until the first batch is baked.
- Loosely cover them with plastic wrap or a damp cloth and allow to rise for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C. Baste the tops of the breadsticks with melted butter and then bake on the middle rack position for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Baste again with butter once out of the oven and add a pinch of garlic powder or garlic salt. Let them cool for a few minutes, and then dive into them. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: