One of my favorite things to eat growing up was danishes. I loved it when my mom would buy the Svenhard’s brand, such a treat. Now I really enjoy making them at home. This easy cheese danish takes me back to my childhood and every bite is scrumptious.
The flaky texture from the puff pastry combined with the sweetened cream cheese in the middle makes for one amazing danish. It is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any time of the day. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this easy cheese danish you will need a handful of ingredients:
- Cream cheese – You could also use something like mascarpone if you wanted. This will be the base for the filling.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla will add a bit of flavor and enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Citrus juice – I like to use orange juice, but you can use lemon juice, or lime juice too if you like.
- White granulated sugar – The sugar will add sweetness to the cheese and balance out the flavor a bit. You can add more or less depending on your tastes.
- Egg yolk – The egg yolk will add a richness to the cream cheese and help it become more creamy.
- Puff pastry sheets – You can never go wrong with this homemade puff pastry recipe, or you can certainly buy the frozen kind from the store, which I do on occasion.
Step 2: How to make an easy cheese danish
Begin by preheating the oven to 400 F/205 C. Place the rack in the middle position. Now create the cream cheese danish filling. In a medium to large bowl add the softened room temp cream cheese. I just usually set it out a few hours before I want to use it.
If you forget you can soften the cream cheese in the microwave. The defrost mode works great. Then add the vanilla extract, orange juice (or other citrus), sugar, and egg yolk. The amount of sugar will depend on how sweet you like it.
Cream all those ingredients together until nice and smooth using a hand mixer.
Step 3: Prep the puff pastry
Take the puff pastry out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to use it. Then unfold it and remove the sheets of parchment paper. Place it on a floured work surface. Start with one sheet and cut it into 4 squares using a pizza roller or knife.
Next create the egg wash by adding an egg and some water in a small bowl and mixing it with a fork. Baste some egg wash onto the corners of each of the squares of puff pastry.
Fold the corners of the puff pastry over so you are left with an octagon shape danish.
Step 4: Cream cheese danish filling
Add a few heaping tablespoons of the cream cheese filling to the middle of each of the puff pastry shapes. You should have enough to make 8 total cheese danishes using both sheets of puff pastry.
Now baste egg wash onto the puff pastry edges. This will make the edges of the easy cheese danish nice and golden brown.
Next, dust the puff pastry edges with a cinnamon and sugar mix or white granulated sugar. You can also add jelly, jam, or preserves if you like on top of the cream cheese.
Step 5: Bake those yummy cheese danishes
Place the unbaked cheese danish onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Bake the cheese danishes in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until they come out golden brown on the edges. They may or may not get a little brown on top of the cream cheese filling as well, don’t worry about it if they do.
Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before serving them. You can serve them as is, or top them with powdered sugar, fruit, or a glaze. Enjoy!
How long will the cheese danish last?
If covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container they will stay fresh at room temperature for a day or two. Other than that it is best to place them in the fridge. They will stay good for about a week.
Easy Cheese Danish
- pizza roller or knife
- Basting brush
- sheet pan
- parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Hand mixer
- 8 oz of softened room temp cream cheese 226g
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract 1ml
- 1 tsp. of citrus juice orange, lemon, lime (5ml)
- 2 to 4 tbsp. white granulated sugar 25 to 50g
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 puff pastry sheets I get the pepperidge farms brand
- flour for dusting work surface
- Cinnamon and sugar mix for dusting or plain white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp water 10ml
- Remove the frozen puff pastry from the freezer 30 minutes before use, to thaw it out.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C.
- Create the cream cheese filling. In a bowl add the softened room temp cream cheese, vanilla extract, orange juice, sugar, and egg yolk and cream them together with a mixer until smooth.
- In a small bowl add an egg and the water and whisk with a fork to create the egg wash.
- Take a sheet of puff pastry and set it on a floured surface. Cut it into 4 squares with a knife or pizza roller. Add egg wash to each of the corners and then fold the corners over creating an octagon shape.
- Add a few tablespoons of cream cheese filling to the middle. Then baste the edges of the pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle sugar or a cinnamon and sugar mix over the edges.
- Place the danishes onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat and bake them for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 10 minutes before serving. You can also add fruit or jelly/jam if you want.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: