I absolutely love breakfast recipes and food. Breakfast is probably my favorite meal or at least the food that is commonly eaten for breakfast. This easy French toast is so yummy and easy to make.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make amazing homemade easy French toast. Maybe you are more of a pancake fan? Maybe you like waffles the best? Or maybe you like to get a bit more classy with some yummy sweet crepes?
Either way, you should definitely give this french toast recipe a try. Who knows they may become your new favorite. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
We only need a few ingredients for this easy French toast recipe. You will need the following:
- Bread – I like to use the thick “Texas Toast” style white bread, but this will work with any kind of bread.
- Egg – The egg is the main ingredient for the French toast.
- Milk – The milk thins out the batter, you can add a bit more or less depending on your tastes.
- Vanilla extract – The vanilla adds so much flavor and enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Butter – Butter adds flavor.
- Cinnamon – This optional ingredient can be added to the batter to give it another depth of flavor.
Step 2: How to make this easy French toast recipe
Begin by adding the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (optional) in a bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a fork until well combined. If you like a little less egg taste to you French toast add a bit more milk, up to 4 total tablespoons.
Step 3: Soak bread in batter
Now using clean hands, tongs, or gloves dip your bread into the batter on both sides and allow it to soak some of that batter up. I usually do this right next to the burner on the stove.
Step 4: Cook that yummy French toast
Take a skillet and heat it with medium heat on the stovetop. A nice flat griddle pan works great for these. Add some butter to the pan and allow it to coat the bottom. Then place the battered pieces of bread on the pan.
Allow the French toast to cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until they get nice and golden brown. Use a spatula to flip them over. I like to add extra butter on the tops while they are still in the pan. Then remove them from the pan and put them on a plate.
Step 5: Finish them off with toppings
Now all you need to do is finish them with your favorite toppings. Some of my favorite toppings are maple syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, strawberries, and other fruit, etc. Enjoy! See I told you they were easy to make.
Easy French Toast
- skillet or griddle
- Shallow bowl/pie pan
- tongs or gloves
- 1 egg
- 2 pieces of thick sliced bread whatever bread you like
- 2 – 4 tbsp of Milk 30ml
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract 1ml
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pinch of cinnamon optional
- In a bowl mix together the egg, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (optional). Pour the batter into a shallow pie plate, it just makes it a little easier to soak the bread.
- Soak the two slices of bread on both sides and sop up that batter. Use clean hands, tongs or gloves.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on medium heat and then coat the bottom with butter. Place the soaked bread onto the skillet or griddle and cook each side for a minute or two until golden brown. You can add more butter to the tops of the French toast while still in the pan.
- Once done, remove from the pan and serve topped with things like maple syrup, whipped cream, fresh fruit, nutella, powdered sugar, etc. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: