One of the simple pleasures in life is making and pulling apart monkey bread. This easy monkey bread recipe is so fun to make and tastes amazing! Plus it doesn’t take very long at all to make.
I love how simple these are to make. Don’t want to make biscuit dough for this? Well, I have news for you generally monkey bread recipes are made with storebought biscuit dough! Of course, you can always make homemade biscuit dough but that kind of defeats the purpose of how quick and easy these are to make. But I will leave that part up to you. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this easy monkey bread recipe you only need a handful of ingredients. Again…easy! You will need the following:
- Biscuit dough – Or of course you can make homemade biscuit dough if you like.
- White granulated sugar – oh yeah sugar, sugar, sugar.
- Brown sugar – read the above statement…oh yeah! This will provide the almost caramel-like outer part that is what makes these so yummy.
- Butter – Butter is a key ingredient for making the outer sugar sauce. Of course for the more health-conscious you can reduce the amount of butter and sugar if you like. 🙂
- Cinnamon – Gotta love cinnamon a perfect spice that makes this monkey bread recipe awesome.
That is it! I told you there weren’t many ingredients involved. Next, you will need the following tools:
- Bundt cake pan – You can use a fluted one or non-fluted one.
- Fork or whisk
- Pizza roller, dough cutter, or knife
- Kitchen spray
Step 2: How to make this easy monkey bread recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 F. (176 C). Next, in a large bowl combine the white sugar and cinnamon and mix together with a whisk. Set the bowl aside for now.
Step 3: Open up and cut that biscuit dough
Now for the fun part, or maybe the scary part? It is time to open up that biscuit dough. It always gets me every time it bursts open, you never quite know at what point when you are unraveling the outside that it will pop. Have you ever seen the movie Elf? When he is testing Jack in the Boxes, it is similar to that. Or maybe you want to make homemade biscuit dough? It is totally up to you. Once you have the biscuit dough out of the containers cut them up into small chunks about an inch to inch and a half in size. Or you could make them a bit bigger than that as well.
Step 4: They see me rollin…
Next, dump your biscuit dough chunks into the bowl of cinnamon and sugar and make sure every bit of that dough gets coated. Then set that bowl aside.
Step 5: Butter and brown sugar make monkey bread amazing
We want this monkey bread recipe to be nice and gooey so we melt the butter, either in the microwave or on the stovetop. Then add all the brown sugar to the butter and mix with a whisk to combine. If you want these to be more on the dryer side you can reduce the amount of butter. I like mine wet and glistening with sugar.
Step 6: How to get that classic monkey bread shape
In order to get that classic monkey bread shape, we need to use a bundt cake pan. It is up to you whether to use use the fluted kind or not. Spray the pan with kitchen spray or you could use something like shortening on the sides and bottom. Add all your sugar and cinnamon covered pieces of biscuit dough to the bundt pan. You may have some sugar and cinnamon leftover in the bowl, go ahead and pour that over them if you like. If you don’t have a bundt pan you could use a muffin pan and only add a few pieces to each one.
Step 7: Pour some sugar on me…
Now pour the butter and brown sugar sauce all over the biscuits inside the pan. If you want these less gooey and more on the dry side use less of the sauce. I don’t normally use all the brown sugar sauce this makes usually I have a little bit leftover. I use that for dipping apples in mmm yummy.
Step 8: Bake that easy monkey bread
Now bake the monkey bread in the oven at 350 F. (176 C.) for 30 to 35 minutes until it rises and gets nice and golden brown on top. After it comes out of the oven allow it too cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 9: Flip it over
Next just add a plate to the top and then flip it over and remove the bundt pan. I like to place a sheet pan on the bottom just to catch any juices that might fly out.
Step 10: Enjoy that easy monkey bread recipe!
Now the only thing left to do is to dig in there and pull apart a piece of that yummy gooey monkey bread. See, wasn’t that incredibly easy to make? Enjoy.
Easy Monkey Bread Recipe
- bundt cake pan
- fork or whisk
- pizza roller, dough cutter, or knife
- kitchen spray
- 3 – 10 ounce containers of pre-made biscuit dough
- 3/4 cup of white granulated sugar 150g
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon 8g
- 3/4 cup of melted butter 185g
- 3/4 cup of Brown sugar or White granulated sugar 150g
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C). Combine cinnamon and granulated sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- Use store-bought biscuit dough or make homemade dough. Then cut the dough up in chunks roughly 1 to 1.5 inches in size. Next, dump those into the cinnamon and sugar and make sure they get nice and coated.
- In a small bowl melt the butter in the microwave. Or optionally use a pot and melt the butter on the stovetop. Pour the brown sugar in the butter and whisk to combine. This is going to make that monkey bread nice and gooey.
- Add the biscuit dough chunks into a bundt cake pan which has been sprayed with some sort of kitchen spray or use shortening on it. You could also use a muffin pan if you like and put 3 to 4 pieces in each one.
- Pour the brown sugar and butter sauce all over it. Then bake it in the oven at 350 F (176 C) for 30 to 35 minutes until nice and golden brown on top.
- Once out of the oven allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Flip it over onto a plate and enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: