I just love cornbread. And this easy sweet cornbread is so delicious and moist! If you are a cornbread lover you are going to enjoy this.
Homemade cornbread is a one of those comfort foods that I can’t get enough of. I have fond memories of eating it while I was growing up. And I just keep on making it.
Some people like it not as sweet which is totally okay, you can just reduce the sugar! And of course, if you want it sweeter just add more sugar. I love to eat mine with butter and honey on it or serve it alongside some homemade ribs.
This easy sweet cornbread is simple to make using everyday ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this yummy homemade easy sweet cornbread need the following ingredients:
- Cornmeal – The star of this dish
- All-purpose flour
- Sugar – Add more or reduce it according to your tastes.
- Baking soda
- Sour Cream – This will add moistness to the cornbread.
- Butter – Use unsalted or salted.
- Large eggs
Step 2: How to make easy sweet cornbread
Begin by preheating the oven to 375 F/190 C. In a medium bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, salt, and baking soda. Set the bowl aside for now.
Step 3: The wet ingredients
Now, in a large bowl whisk the eggs. Then add in the sugar and sour cream and whisk them in. Take the butter and melt it either in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop. Just until barely melted, if it is really hot let it cool for a bit.
Pour the melted butter into the sweet cornbread batter and whisk it in.
Step 4: Complete the sweet cornbread batter/dough
Next, mix in the dry ingredients half of it at a time until the cornbread dough or batter comes sugar. I usually switch my whisk out for a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula for the final mixing. It is a bit too thick for a whisk.
You may also use a hand mixer or stand mixer of course.
Step 5: Baking the sweet cornbread
Take an 8×8 baking pan and grease it with shortening or butter. You may also spray it with cooking spray. Pour the batter/dough into the pan and spread it out with a spatula so it is even.
If you like, you can also use a medium round cast iron pan or double the recipe and use a standard 12-inch round cast iron pan.
Bake it in the oven, middle rack position, for 20 to 25 minutes until it gets nice and golden brown on the top and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
Allow the easy sweet cornbread to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and then serve it up. I love to cut mine in half and put on some butter and honey. Oh so yummy! Enjoy.
How long will sweet cornbread last?
If you wrap it in plastic wrap or ziplock bag or put in an airtight container it will last for a few days at room temperature and about a week in the fridge.
Can I freeze this easy sweet cornbread?
Yes! If you wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, or use a freezer bag, you can freeze the cornbread for 2 to 3 months. Then when you want to eat it, thaw it out at, remove it from the plastic and reheat it in the microwave or put it in the oven, in a pan, at 350 for 5 to 10 minutes
Can I use milk or buttermilk instead of sour cream?
Yes! If you don’t have sour cream or don’t want to buy it, you can certainly use normal milk. The resulting cornbread just won’t be as moist, but it will still be super yummy.
Easy Sweet Cornbread
- 8×8 baking pan
- whisk or wooden spoon
- shortening/butter/cooking spray for the pan
- hand mixer (optional)
- 1 cup cornmeal 130g
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 120g
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar 68g
- 1/2 tsp. salt 2g
- 1 tsp. baking soda 5g
- 1 cup sour cream 240g
- 1/2 cup butter melted (salted or unsalted) (113g)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. Rack in the middle position.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the sugar, and sour cream.
- Melt the butter until just barely melted and not too hot. Use the microwave or a pot on the stovetop. Whisk the melted butter in with the cornbread batter.
- Add the dry mixture half at a time. Mixing it in with a whisk or wooden spoon. Or of course, use a hand or stand mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl with the spatula.
- Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan with shortening, butter, or spray it with cooking spray. Pour the cornbread batter/dough into the pan and spread it with a spatula until even.
- Bake the cornbread in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle. Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: