I have always been a fan of pizza. One of my favorite kinds of pizza is French bread pizza. And I am not going to lie, I may or may not have eaten a ton of Stouffer’s frozen French bread pizza in college.
French bread pizza is so extremely easy to make, you don’t have to worry about making the dough, although, this homemade pizza dough is so incredible. One of my brother’s family traditions is to have pizza on Christmas Eve. We usually would do French Bread pizza, everyone loves it.
It is fun to have your own personal pizza that you can make exactly how you like it. If you are a pizza lover, you have got to try this. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make French bread pizza you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- A loaf of French Bread – You can use a nice store-bought loaf, or make your own homemade French bread or Italian bread.
- Pizza or Marina sauce – Use your favorite store-bought pizza or marinara sauce, or try this amazing homemade pizza sauce.
- Cheese – My favorite cheese to use is Mozzarella, but there are also pre-shredded pizza blends of cheese that you can buy.
- Toppings – And then you need your favorite toppings, some of mine are, pepperoni, ham, olives, bacon, sausage, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, did I already mention bacon?
- Sheet pan or cookie sheet
- Knife – A bread knife is ideal
- Spoon or spatula
Step 2: How to make French Bread Pizza
Ok get ready for it, you won’t believe how easy it is to make these. Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C.
Take a loaf of French bread and cut it in half. Then slice those two halves in half lengthwise, leaving you with 4 nice-sized slices of French bread.
Also, this is a very inexpensive way to make pizza. A loaf of French bread is usually only a couple of dollars.
Place the halves of French bread on a cookie sheet or sheet pan. No need to spray it with cooking spray. Then spread a thin or thick layer of pizza sauce on it. Sometimes I like lots of sauce, other times I want only a very thin layer of it. If you have really thick French bread, a little more sauce helps it not taste dry.
And now for the cheese! I love cheese, especially mozzarella. You can use whatever cheese that you like, the pizza blends that are sold, are really good as well.
Pile the cheese on as much as you like. Or maybe you want to add slices of mozzarella instead of shredded ones for a Margherita-style French bread pizza.
The only thing left to do now is put on those toppings. Feel free to make put on whatever you like. Make a classic pepperoni French bread pizza, meat lovers, supreme, etc.
Then place the pan in the oven, middle rack position, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread get golden brown.
Allow the French Bread pizzas to cool for a few minutes on the pan before serving. I love the blend of crunch French bread with all those yummy pizza toppings, so delicious. Enjoy!
How long does homemade French bread pizza last?
While it always tastes best fresh, if you store them in a freezer bag or an airtight container in the fridge they will last for a few days. You can also freeze assembled, but not cooked French bread pizzas if you like. Then bake them later.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Homemade French Bread Pizza
- Sheet pan or cookie sheet
- Spoon or spatula
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce homemade or storebought (112g) it doesn’t have to be exact
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese or pizza blend 200g doesn’t have to be exact
- Your favorite toppings pepperoni, sausage, bacon, onions, bell peppers, olives, mushrooms, basil, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C. Place the main rack in the middle position.
- Slice the loave of French bread in half in the middle then each half lengthwise. Place them on an ungreased sheet pan or cookie sheet
- Now spread the pizza sauce on with a spoon or spatula. Go heavy with the sauce, or only do a thin layer, totally up to you.
- Add your favorite kind of cheese, I usually use shredded mozzarella or a pizza blend. Use as much as you like.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the bread browns on the edges and the cheese melts.
- Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.