I am a huge fan of grilled cheese sandwiches. From the classic grilled cheese to the air fryer grilled cheese and anyway in between. One of my favorite ways to prepare them is by making grilled cheese waffles. Yes! Make them in a waffle iron.
The waffle sandwich turns out incredible and a little different than how they turn out in a skillet or the air fryer. They turn out almost like a panini but of course in waffle form. If you love cheese sandwiches and you love waffles give this amazing combination a try. A super fun way to make an easy lunch and classic sandwich.
Let’s get started!
Ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches
In order to make grilled cheese waffles you start with the same basic ingredients that you would for any traditional grilled cheese:
- Bread – I love using a large sandwich-style white bread, but any slices of bread will work. This homemade white bread recipe is my go-to sandwich bread.
- Cheese – Use your favorite cheese! I love using a combination of aged cheddar cheese, provolone, gruyere cheese, or Monterey jack cheese. American cheese is a very popular cheese for these because it melts so well, but I am not particularly fond of it, so it stays far from my house, haha.
- Butter – Use softened unsalted butter or salted butter. You may also use may or margarine if desired.
- Waffle Iron – I have had the restaurant-style waffle iron for years. It works amazingly and produces nice thick Belgian-style waffles. They are fairly expensive but worth it in my opinion. You can find other really good irons though as well.
- Butter knife or spatula
How to make grilled cheese waffles
Begin by plugging in your waffle iron. If it has a heat setting use medium heat. You may even go up to medium-high heat depending on how brown you like your grilled cheeses. No need to add cooking spray because the bread will already have butter or something on it to prevent it from sticking.
Now it is time to spread butter on two bread slices. Of course, if you are making more cheese sandwiches you will use more bread.
TIP: If you want to stay away from dairy and or mayo, try coconut oil or olive oil instead.
Place one slice of bread butter side down in the center of the hot waffle iron. You need to make sure to use slices of bread that will fit in your iron.
Now arrange slices of cheese, again whatever kind of cheese that you want, on top of the bread slice. It is fun trying out different kinds of cheese.
Follow that up with the other slice of bread and put it on top of the cheese butter side up. This is such an easy recipe!
Close waffle iron and cook the sandwich for two to three minutes until it is nice and golden brown. Don’t be alarmed if melted cheese oozes out of the sides, that may or may not happen.
Remove the yummy grilled cheese sandwich waffle with tongs and put it on a plate. Then allow it to rest for 1-2 minutes then serve. If you are making more place prepare a second waffle, etc.
It goes amazing with this easy homemade tomato soup and is the perfect sandwich for cheese lovers. Enjoy!
How long do grilled cheese waffles last?
While they are certainly better eaten fresh off the waffle iron these grilled cheese sandwiches will last 2 to 3 days. Reheat them in the iron, air fryer, oven, or last resort the microwave.
What else in addition to cheese can I add to this sandwich?
There are a few other options that you may want to try adding along with the cheese. My personal favorites are adding some deli ham or bacon. You just need to be careful and not stuff the sandwich too much otherwise it will be too fat for the waffle iron.
Here are other recipes that you may be interested in checking out:
Grilled Cheese Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- Butter knife or spatula
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of cheese use any kind of cheese that you want.
- 1 Tbsp of softened butter mayo, or margarine
- Plug the waffle iron in and allow it to heat up. If it has a heat setting use medium heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Add one slice of bread, butter side down in the middle of the waffle iron.
- Next, add the cheese to the slice of bread in the waffle iron. Add the other slice of bread, butter side up. Then close the waffle iron.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the sandwich waffle is golden brown. Remove it with tongs and serve it. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.