I love cheese. I eat it probably every date. And classic cheddar cheese is one of my all time favorites to eat. If you are fan of cheese like me, you have got to try these homemade cheese crisps or keto cheez-its!
Not only are they keto-friendly but these homemade cheese crisps are also gluten-free. They are such an easy cheese snack to make and they actually taste kinda like actual cheez-its.
If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these homemade cheese crisps or cheez-its you need just 2 ingredients. Yes, that is right, only two, or even one if you leave out the salt altogether.
You will need:
- Cheese – I like to use cheddar cheese. It is one of my favorites and it closely resembles the flavor of cheddar cheez-its. You can use a cheddar jack blend as well. Use block cheese or the pre-sliced sandwich size cheese.
- Salt – Only a pinch of flaked salt, sea salt, or natural salt. Don’t go overboard with the salt. Cheddar cheese is already on the saltier side.
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Knife – I love using my cheese knife
- Straw – optional
Step 2: How to make homemade cheese crisps or Keto Cheez-its
Begin by preheating the oven to 275 F/135 C.
Cut the cheese into little squares. Some people take the sandwich-sized slices of cheese and cut those into fourths. Those are nice because they are already the perfect thickness, which is right around 1/8th of an inch or so, probably a little less. But the size doesn’t matter too much just as long as the thickness is not much more than that.
You can make them 2x2 inches or 1x1 inches. They won’t keep their square shape, however. They will be more like chips or discs, haha.
Now line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place the cheese squares about an inch and a half apart.
Poke holes if you want in the middle with a straw. But, honestly, that doesn’t matter as the cheese melts the hole gets filled in anyways, haha. But it looks cool before baking.
Next, sprinkle on a tiny bit of salt. Or you can leave the salt out entirely. Keep in mind some cheeses are already fairly salty on their own.
Now, bake the cheese in the oven, middle rack, for 20 to 25 minutes until it melts and gets a little brown around the edges.
Pull them out of the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes before eating them. They are nice and crunchy and taste very similar to cheez-its!
And that is how you make this incredible snack called homemade cheese crisps or Keto cheez-its. Perfect for people who are gluten-free as well. Enjoy!
How long do homemade cheese crisps last?
To store them, place any leftovers in a ziplock bag or an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature for a few days, or in the fridge for about a week.
Here are other recipes that you may like:
Homemade Cheese Crisps | Keto Cheez-Its
- sheet pan
- parchment paper
- Knife – I love using my cheese knife
- 2 oz Cheese – Use Cheddar or a cheddar jack blend. Blocks or the pre-sliced sandwich size.
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 275F/135C.
- Slice the cheese into small squares about 1x1 inch and around 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Now line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place the cheese squares about an inch and a half apart.
- Poke holes if you want in the middle with a straw. But, honestly, that doesn't matter as the cheese melts the hole gets filled in anyways, haha.
- Next, sprinkle on a tiny bit of salt. Or you can leave the salt off entirely.
- Bake the cheese in the oven, middle rack, for 20 to 25 minutes until it melts and gets a little brown around the edges.
- Let them cool for about 5 minutes before eating them. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.