I absolutely love chocolate, a bit of a chocolate addict. This homemade chocolate recipe is so awesome and the best part is it only requires three ingredients!
Also this chocolate is completely dairy-free so it is perfect for chocolate lovers that don’t consume dairy or are lactose intolerant.
If you have a craving for a rich delicious dark chocolate make it at home. This homemade chocolate is super duper easy to make, and comes together in minutes. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this super simple dark homemade chocolate you need just three simple ingredients:
- Coconut oil – You can also use food grade cocoa butter. Although that is certainly more expensive a bit harder to find. Make sure your coconut oil is refined and NOT unrefined. If you use unrefined it will have a strong coconut oil taste.
- Cocoa powder – Use the unsweetened cocoa powder, I generally use the Hershey’s brand. You can also use dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as icing or confectioner’s sugar. There are other sweeteners you can use as well, like honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar.
- Silicone molds or other chocolate candy molds
Step 2: How to make homemade chocolate
Begin with the coconut oil, or food grade cocoa butter. If your home is warm, chances are the coconut oil will already be in liquid form. If not, it will be a solid. Place it in a bowl and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it. Or do it on the stovetop.
If using cocoa butter, you will need to melt it, because it will be a solid.
NOTE: Cocoa butter tends to make the homemade chocolate more stable at room temperature once it is made, but it is more expensive to buy, and harder to find then coconut oil.
Add the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder to a sifter and sift half of it into the bowl of melted coconut oil. Whisk until combined.
Sift in the rest of the cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Then whisk until all combined and smooth. You can taste it with a spoon now if you like. You can add a bit more powdered sugar if you want it sweeter. Or add in some honey, etc.
And just like that the homemade chocolate is ready. Pretty simple right?
After you fill the molds to your liking, place them in the fridge or freezer for 20 to 30 minutes so the chocolate can set. Depending on how thick the chocolate is, will determine how long it needs to stay in there. A very thin bar will be done in 20 to 30 minutes.
Once the homemade chocolate has set, remove the molds from the fridge/freezer and then pop the chocolate out of the molds. Enjoy!
NOTE: Sometimes you may see a whitish discoloration on the chocolate, it won’t effect the taste of the chocolate. It just means the fat from the oil/cocoa butter separated and went to the bottom.
How long does homemade chocolate last?
This chocolate doesn’t last as long as commercial mass produced chocolate. It will last a week or two in the fridge, or a few months in the freezer. Make sure to store it in the fridge, if left out at room temperature it will most likely melt.
Here are a few other chocolate recipes you may like:
Homemade Chocolate 3 Ingredients Dairy-Free
- Silicone molds or other chocolate candy molds
- 1/2 refined coconut oil or food-grade cocoa butter (120 ml) Food grade Cocoa butter can be used, but it is pretty expensive, depending on where you live. It will make the chocolate more stable at room temperature.
- 1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder You can also use Dutch Processed cocoa powder. (50g)
- 1/2 powdered sugar, icing sugar, confectioner's sugar You can also use honey or agave nectar, or other sweeteners. (50g)
- Measure out the coconut oil into a medium bowl. Make sure the coconut oil is in liquid form, if not, you can melt it in the microwave or on the stovetop. If it is cold in your house, chances are it has solidified.
- Add the powdered sugar and the cocoa powder to a sifter and sift about half of it into the bowl of oil. Whisk it in until smooth, then sift in the remaining bit. Whisk until all combined. Just like that, it is ready. Super easy right?
- Spoon or pour the melted chocolate into whatever chocolate mold that you like. They also have specific chocolate/candy bar molds that you can try as well.Once the molds have the chocolate in them. Place them in the freezer or the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes until it sets.
- Once the chocolate sets you can remove the molds from the fridge and then remove the chocolates from the molds. Pretty awesome! Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.