This homemade hot chocolate recipe is one of my favorite things to drink on a cold day or anytime I am craving chocolate. What can I say, I am a chocolate lover.
Like all the chocolate recipes featured here on my blog, this one is bursting with rich chocolate flavor and is so creamy and incredibly easy to make. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
Homemade Hot Chocolate Ingredients. In order to make this yummy hot chocolate you need just a handful of ingredients:
- Milk – If you want it extra creamy use whole milk, but any milk will work, including almond milk.
- Heavy whipping cream – The cream adds to the silky smooth creamy texture and makes this hot chocolate from scratch, taste that much better.
- Milk chocolate bar – or use milk chocolate chips.
- Dark chocolate bar – or use dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar is optional, and is used to add to the sweetness.
Step 2: How to make homemade hot chocolate
Now that you have gathered all of your ingredients together, it is time to make this delicious hot chocolate. Make sure to chop up the chocolate bars into little chunks. Place a medium pot on the stovetop and set the burner to medium heat.
Add the milk, cream, and sugar to the pot. Stir the mixture occasionally while it heats up. The ideal temperature is right around 180 F/82 C. One way to tell that it is hot enough is you will see lots of little bubbles on the edges of the liquid. Don’t let the mixture boil, that is too hot.
Step 3: Chocolate time!
Remove the pot of hot milk and cream from the stovetop and place it on another burner or on a counter with a hot pad underneath it.
Next, pour in the chopped up chocolate bars or use chocolate chips. Make sure the chocolate bars or chocolate chips are not cold and are at room temperature.
With the chocolate itself I love a rich milk chocolate heavy hot chocolate, but you can make your homemade hot chocolate with a different ratio of milk and dark or even white chocolate. You can use all of one or the other if you like, or a ratio, etc.
You may also do a different ratio of milk, cream, or half and half even. Let the hot mixture sit with the chocolate in it for about 3 minutes. Similar to if you are making a chocolate ganache as we do for the chocolate eclairs.
Alternatively you may melt the chocolate separately in the microwave or using the double boiler method, although I don’t usually do it that way.
After about three minutes stir the chocolate with a spatula or spoon until is is well mixed in with the milk and cream. Give it a taste with a spoon, blow on it first of course so you don’t burn your mouth.
If the hot chocolate is too cool, you can just put it back on the stovetop and reheat it until it is at your desired temperature.
Step 4: Serve up that delicious hot chocolate made at home
Now it is time to serve that yummy homemade hot chocolate. Pour it into a few mugs and add some marshmallows, whipped cream, sprinkles, candy canes, etc. Enjoy!
Note: This recipe, as is, produces a really nice thick creamy hot chocolate that is very rich. You may elect to fill the mug two thirds full and then add some additional milk as desired.
How to store hot chocolate
If you have any leftovers place the homemade hot chocolate in the refrigerator. It will last 3 to 4 days. When you would like to drink some more, just heat it up either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like:
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk but you can use whatever milk you like (375mL)
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream 125mL
- 1 x 4-ounce bar of milk chocolate 120g
- 2 ounces of dark chocolate bar 60g
- 1 Tbsp. of white granulated sugar optional (15g)
- Chop up the chocolate bars into small chunks, or if you are using chocolate chips skip this step.
- Add the milk, heavy cream, and sugar to a medium pot and heat on the stovetop with medium heat. Stir occasionally until it reaches around 180 F/83 C. Don't bring it to a boil. It will be ready when you notice lots of little bubbles on the edges of the liquid.
- Remove the hot liquid from the heat and dump in all of the chocolate. Allow it to sit for 3 to 4 minutes then stir it until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth and silky.
- Reheat the hot chocolate as necessary if it cools down too much while melting the chocolate. Just place it back on the stovetop and heat it to the desired temp.
- Pour it into mugs and add marshmallows, whipped cream, etc. Easy as that. Enjoy!
Hi I’m not on Instagram only Facebook. How can I sign up for your Newsletter please. I love your recipes and your videos, which are so easy to follow thanks, oh I’m in North Wales UK by the way
Thank you!! There is a spot here on my website to sign up. If you are on a mobile keep scrolling down and you will find it. If you are on the computer you will see it on the right column near the top. 🙂
Yummy!!! I can’t wait to start drinking this. I just bought a bunch of wood for our fireplace and firepit outside. Now we just need some chilly weather to enjoy our hot chocolate by the fire!
Mmmm so gooey and delicious! Thank you for sharing! I’ll try this this winter.
You are welcome!
I love Homemade Hot Chocolate. We usually use “tablea” which is made from cocoa. It’s so yummy!
Oh I totally forgot about hot chocolate. I mean homemade, rich and healthy one. I will do it today, in fact, right now. Thanks for sharing this my dear ?
You are welcome! Good luck! 🙂
Aaahhhhh….this is very nice. This time round, I will use non-dairy. I hope it turns out good.
Thank you! Yes you can totally use almond milk or another non-dairy milk. 🙂
I can’t wait to make this! Hot chocolate is the perfect fall and winter drink. I’ve never had it other than as a powder. This looks great!
Thank you, Brianne! Yes making it from scratch is so much better than the instant powder stuff.
Five stars! Homemade hot chocolate is the best thing anyone will ever drink in their lives. I love this one.
Thank you, Ben!
Don’t you just love how super simple it is to make homemade hot chocolate! I love your version with the two different types of chocolate! So good!
Yes, I love how simple it is to make hot chocolate. Put those instant powder packets away! lol and thank you!
It has been a gross, rainy day and this delicious hot chocolate was the perfect treat to cheer everyone up, so creamy and delicious.
So happy you like it, Lily! 🙂
Yummy! I made this yesterday because I had a craving! Boy was it creamy! Thanks for the great recipe!!
Awesome, Beth! Glad you liked it. 🙂