This homemade microwave popcorn recipe is so awesome! To say I love popcorn is an understatement. I eat it almost every night. It is definitely my favorite movie watching and TV watching snack.
There are so many ways to make popcorn at home. You can make it the old fashioned way in a pot on the stovetop, in an air popper, in a microwave popper, you can buy those mass-produced microwave popcorn packets. Or you can make homemade microwave popcorn with brown paper lunch bags!
Making homemade microwave popcorn is so fun and incredibly easy to do, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this homemade microwave popcorn you just a handful of ingredients!
- Popcorn Kernels – I really like the Orville Redenbacher brand kernels or the Pop Secret Jumbo kernels. But the normal store brand kernels will work fine too.
- Oil – I usually use olive oil, but any oil will work. And this is optional, you don’t have to add the oil.
- Salt – Add salt to taste
- Toppings – Melted butter is one of my favorite toppings, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, ranch popcorn seasoning, etc.
- Brown paper bag – The big kind used for lunches.
- Small bowl
Step 2: How to make homemade microwave popcorn
Add the popcorn kernels to a small bowl. Then pour the oil over the kernels, and shake some salt onto them as well.
Mix the bowl with the fork so the kernels get evenly coated. The oil is not necessary, the kernels will pop without it, but I like to add it, for a bit of flavor.
Pour the coated kernels into a brown paper lunch sack. Fold the top down a few times tightly. Make sure to keep the bag upright.
Place the bag in the microwave and cook on high for 1 and a half minutes to 1 minute 45 seconds. The time will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave, so it could take a bit longer. My microwave is a 1200 watt one.
Keep allowing the kernels to pop until there is a second or two in between the pops. Don’t let it go too long because the popcorn will burn. It is better to have more un-popped kernels than burnt popcorn.
Gently open the bag up after it is done popping and allow the steam to escape. Now all you need to do is add flavor to that popcorn. You can do it right there in the bag or transfer it to a bowl. Enjoy!
My favorite microwave popcorn popper
If you would rather not use brown paper sacks each time, you could consider picking up this awesome microwave air popper by Salbree. And then you don’t have to keep buying paper sacks.
But is really fun to know that you can make homemade microwave popcorn in just a brown paper sack if you want.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
- 1 brown paper sack (lunch bag)
- Small bowl
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels Pop Secret Jumbo are my favorite Kernels, but any will work
- 1 tsp of olive oil or any oil – optional
- Salt to taste
- Toppings to taste like melted butter, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, ranch powder, etc.
- First, add the kernels in a bowl and add the olive oil and a few shakes of salt, then stir with a fork or spoon.
- Now, add the coated kernels to a brown paper bag (common lunch bag here in the United States). Then fold over the top 3 or 4 times. Keep it upright.
- Place the bag in the microwave and cook on high for 1 and a half to 2 minutes until there is a second or two of time in between each pop. Don't let it pop too long, because the popcorn will burn.
- Remove the bag from the microwave and carefully open it up, allowing the hot steam to escape. Season the popcorn however you like. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.