This copycat homemade Rolos recipe is so incredibly easy to make. I love chocolate and I love caramel.
Rolos have long since been one of my favorite candies to eat. Especially the tasty chocolate on the outside and the smooth delicious caramel on the inside. It is hard for me to think of a better combination of flavors.
If you are a chocolate and caramel lover like me you have got to make these homemade Rolos. You will not be disappointed. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these copycat homemade Rolos you need just three ingredients and a few other items:
- Chocolate – The cool thing about this is you can use your favorite kind chocolate. I typically use a classic milk chocolate candy bar, candy melts, or chocolate chips.
- Caramel – I normally just buy the Kraft brand of caramels. A good homemade caramel recipe will work as well.
- Cream or Milk – This is used with the storebought caramels to keep the caramel soft once it is melted, otherwise.
- Silicone Chocolate Mold – You need some short of round silicone mold for the chocolates although you can use whatever kind of shape that you want.
- Straw or little brush – This is used to paint the sides of the mold with chocolate.
Step 2: How to make homemade Rolos
I always like having candy molds handy, in fact I think I am a bit addicted to buying them, I have so many of them, haha.
Begin by melting the chocolate either in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave or on the stovetop using the double boiler method. If using the microwave, use bursts of 25 seconds and then stir the chocolate, etc. until it is melted.
What kind of chocolate should you use? I love using the Hershey’s symphony bars. But there are so many other possibilities and flavors you can do. If you love Lindt 73% cocoa bars, use that, if you love semi-sweet chocolate chips, use those. You get the idea.
Once the chocolate is melted spoon some into each cavity of the mold, about a third of the way full.
Step 3: Painting with chocolate
Now it is time to “paint” the sides of the molds with chocolate. Use a clean paint brush or something like a straw to take the chocolate and cover the sides with the melted chocolate.
The result will be a little pocket of chocolate that is ready to be filled with caramel. This will also ensure that there is chocolate on all sides of the candy or Rolo. If you don’t mind seeing a band of caramel, then you can skip this painting part.
Place the silicone mold with the chocolate into the fridge and all the chocolate to set for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 4: Caramel for homemade Rolos
Add the caramels to a small microwave safe bowl. Then add in the milk or cream with the caramels. Just like the chocolate melt them on high for 25 seconds then stir, 25 seconds, stir, etc. until the caramel is nice and creamy.
Drop about a teaspoon worth of caramel into each chocolate cavity until they are almost full. Then come back in with more chocolate and cover them completely. If the caramel gets too thick, just heat it back up for a few seconds.
Step 5: Finish the copycat Rolos
Place the silicone mold with the chocolate and caramel into the fridge and allow it to set for 30 minutes. If you are in a hurry you can put it in the freezer as well.
Once the homemade Rolos come out of the fridge you can remove them from the mold. If you are having trouble getting them out, gently tug on the sides of the mold which will loosen them up.
And there you have it, easy homemade copycat Rolos. Enjoy!
How long do homemade Rolos last?
Not very long in my house. If stored in an airtight container in the fridge they will last several weeks. They can also be frozen. When you want to eat one, just let it sit at room temp for 5 minutes or so and then bite into it.
Here are a few more recipes you may like:
- Silicone Chocolate Mold
- Straw or small paintbrush
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar 4.25oz or any chocolate, candy melts, chocolate chips (120g)
- 12 caramels I use the Kraft brand (110g)
- 1 tbsp. of milk or cream 15ml
- Begin by melting the chocolate either in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or use the double boiler method on the stovetop. If using the microwave, use bursts of 25 seconds and then stir the chocolate, then 25 seconds, then stir. Until fully melted.
- Spoon the chocolate into the silicone candy mold until it is about 1/3 full. Use a small clean paintbrush or a straw and paint chocolate up around the sides of each cavity of the mold. This will make sure the caramel is completely covered by chocolate.
- Place the silicone mold in the fridge so the chocolate can set. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the caramels and cream. Melt them in the microwave, like the chocolate, using bursts of 25 seconds and stirring, etc. You may also melt them in a small pot on the stovetop with medium-low heat.
- Remove the mold of chocolate and spoon in caramel into the cavities until almost full. Then come back and spoon on more chocolate covering the caramel completely. If needed you can reheat the chocolate in the bowl until it is fully melted again. Place the mold back in the fridge and let the homemade Rolos set for 30 minutes.
- Remove the Rolos from the fridge and the molds. If you are having a little trouble getting them out, just tug gently on the sides of the silicone mold which will loosen them up. Now enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.