I am obsessed with this grilled honey mustard pork tenderloin recipe. It is one of my favorite things to make on the grill and for gatherings. I make it every year for my annual birthday barbecue.
I got the idea from a very old episode of Grill it or Backyard with Bobby Flay, I can’t remember. It was definitely Bobby Flay cooking it. It isn’t his recipe, but the idea came from him. There is something magical about honey, mustard, and molasses blended together and then basted on pork tenderloin. So yummy! It is so easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get grilling!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this yummy honey mustard pork tenderloin, you need just a handful of ingredients:
- Pork tenderloin
- Mustard – Either yellow or Dijon
- Oil – I generally use olive oil, but you can use vegetable, coconut, avocado, etc.
- Garlic powder
- Meat tenderizer
- Basting Brush
Step 2: How to make grilled honey mustard pork tenderloin
Begin by prepping the pork tenderloin. Remove it from the package, the kind I buy included to pork tenderloins per package. You can use pork loin as well, but the pork tenderloin will turn out better.
Use a knife and slice the tenderloin about 3/4 to 1-inch thick. It doesn’t have to be exact.
Now take a meat tenderizer or rolling pin or something and pound the tenderloin flat so it is about 1/4th of an inch or so. Again doesn’t have to be exact. Place the flattened piece of pork tenderloin on a sheet pan or 9×13 pan.
Drizzle the pork tenderloin with some olive oil or other cooking oil. Follow that up by sprinkling on some salt, pepper, and garlic powder, my three favorite seasonings.
If you like flip the meat over and season that side as well. Or you can also just flip them over and move them around, usually there is extra seasoning that has fallen to the bottom of the pan.
In a medium bowl mix together the honey, mustard, and molasses. Then add a pinch or two of salt. Give it a taste and add a little more of each as necessary according to your tastes.
Step 3: Grilling the honey mustard pork tenderloin
Time to grill up that pork tenderloin! Make sure the grill is heated to around medium to medium-high heat. Easier to do with a gas or pellet grill, not as easy with charcoal.
You should be able to hold your hand for about 5 seconds right above the grill before removing it. If you can’t go that long, it is likely a bit too hot, and if you can leave it there for several seconds the grill isn’t hot enough yet.
Place the pounded pork tenderloin pieces on the grill. Then baste them with the honey mustard glaze on that side.
Allow this side to cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Then flip them over and baste the other side and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, it won’t take as long to cook the other side.
The finished pork should be fairly firm when you press on it with the tongs. And it will be nice and golden brown. Baste a fresh coating of glaze on each side again, if you like. When you cut into one it shouldn’t have any pink. It just needs to be 145 F/63 C on the inside if you are using a meat thermometer.
Remove the honey mustard pork tenderloin from the grill and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve it up with some homemade potato salad, twice-baked potatoes, homemade mac, and cheese, or whatever you like. Enjoy!
How long does the grilled honey mustard pork tenderloin last?
It is best eaten right away, but after it is cooked it will last in the fridge for a few days. Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
Here are other recipes you may like:
Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin
- meat tenderizer
- Basting brush
- Pork tenderloin a few pounds
- 1/4 cup of Molasses 85g
- 1/2 cup of Dijon Mustard 125g
- 2 Tbsp. of Honey 42g
- Pinch of Salt
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Begin by getting the grill started. You want the heat to be around medium to medium-high heat. (350 to 375F) Slice the pork tenderloin into about 1-inch thick pieces.
- Then pound the pork tenderloin flat with a meat tenderize or rolling pin. Place in a sheet pan or baking dish.
- Drizzle the oil over the pork, and add a few pinches of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- For the glaze, mix together the molasses, mustard, and honey in a small bowl along with a pinch or two of salt.
- Use tongs and add the pork to the preheated grill. Baste the top side with the honey mustard glaze. And cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Then flip the pork over and baste that side and cook an additional 2 to 4 minutes. The pork should be slightly firm and golden brown. The internal temp should be at least 145 F, if you are checking with a meat thermometer.
- Remove the cooked pork tenderloin from the grill and allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving. Feel free to baste it with more glaze if you like after. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
The best bbq meat I’ve ever tasted!!! Super flavorful and can not eat just one!!
So glad you like it, Elsa!! 🙂 🙂 🙂