I have been on a big green smoothie kick recently. For me, one of the easiest ways to shed a few extra pounds is just by changing my breakfast habits. When I switch to drinking a smoothie instead of eating cereal or my favorite bacon egg and cheese sandwich my intake of calories drops and ups the health factor. I do still eat my favorite things but more so for lunch or even dinner when I drink my smoothies. Green smoothies and other smoothies in general are such a great source of healthy veggies and fruits.
The American Heart Association recommends that adults have 4 to 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. That is fairly hard to do if you aren’t doing some in smoothie form.
In this particular green smoothie recipe, I am getting 3 servings of fruits and 2 servings of veggies spread across two 12-ounce glasses worth, which I usually drink both at the same time or about 30 minutes apart. Let’s get to it!
Healthy Smoothie Ingredients and Tools
In order to make this yummy homemade green smoothie you need just a handful of ingredients and tools. Stop spending so much money and Jamba Juice and other smoothie places and make them yourself.
You will need:
- Water – I always use filtered water because my tap water tastes gross.
- Green grapes – You can use other grapes if you want, but they will affect the color of the smoothie if not green.
- Green apple – Again you can use any color of apple that you want, but it may affect the color.
- Spinach – A very healthy veggie
- Kale – Another healthy veggie. I usually buy the already chopped-up bags of kale that my local supermarket carries. It makes it super convenient.
If you grow your own vegetables and fruits, even better!
- A good blender – This blender is absolutely amazing and the best blender I have ever owned.
How to make a healthy green smoothie at home
Begin by slicing up any fruit like the honeydew and the apple. Large chunks are fine. No need to make the slices super small.
Pour the water into the blender first. I highly recommend using filtered water. But if you don’t mind the taste of your tap water, use that. Next, add the grapes, apple chunks, and honeydew chunks.
Follow those up with the spinach and kale. Put the lid on your blender and you are ready to go.
Start with a low setting and blend gradually adjust the speed until you are on the highest setting. Once on the highest setting allow it to go for about 30 seconds. If you have a “smoothie” setting on your blender, use that.
NOTE: The better your blender the better the smoothie will turn out. I really like my Vitamix. It makes it super smooth without any grit. If you are going to make smoothies a lot, I recommend a higher-end blender. Plus you can do all kinds of other things with them.
The model of Vitamix I own is the Explorian 310 find it here!
Serve that green smoothie!
Once all blended you are ready to go. A quick easy green smoothie for breakfast, or whenever.
NOTE: These are my favorite ingredients to add to a green smoothie, there are so many more you can try. These give it a deep green color. I also will add things like frozen pineapple or fresh pineapple instead of honeydew, and also carrots on occasion. Orange juice instead of water I will do often as well. But things like pineapple and carrots will affect the color of the finished smoothie.
Pour the smoothie into glasses, you should be able to get two 12 to 14-ounce servings out of this.
How long do green smoothies last?
I recommend drinking them within 30 minutes of making them. But they can be stored in the fridge for a day. You will need to stir them because they will separate.
Here are other healthy recipes you may like:
- A good blender
- 1 cup of water 237ml
- 1 cup of green grapes 150g
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup or so of honeydew 165g
- 1 big handful of spinach or about 1 cup
- 1 big handful of kale or about 1 cup
- Slice up the apple and the honeydew into medium to large chunks.
- Add the water, then the grapes, apple, and honey chunks. Then add the kale and spinach.
- Put the lid on the blender and then blend starting at the low setting and gradually increasing until it is on its highest setting. Blend for 30 seconds on the highest setting.
- Pour into glasses and serve. Enjoy!
Do you like this green smoothie recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.