Here is the scenario, you have 1 ripe banana sitting on your counter and you are craving banana cake or banana bread but that isn’t enough bananas. The solution is simple, make this super yummy single-serving banana cake. From start to finish it is ready in under 5 minutes!
If you are a fan of all things bananas, you will love this yummy banana cake. It is so tasty and extremely easy to make. In fact, even when I have enough bananas to make a full loaf of banana bread or a full cake, I still opt to make this instead sometimes.
Banana Cake Ingredients
In order to make this super yummy single-serving banana mug cake you only need just a handful of everyday ingredients:
- Flour – You can use all-purpose or cake flour.
- Sugar – I usually use white granulated sugar, but brown sugar will work too. Don’t want to use sugar? Use honey or something like stevia instead.
- Oil – Use any kind of cooking oil, olive, avocado, coconut, or vegetable, which are all suitable for this.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt to balance out the flavor.
- Baking powder – This is the main leavening agent.
- Cinnamon – Love putting cinnamon in this, but it is optional.
- Banana – Make sure the banana is super ripe.
- Chocolate chips – I always add milk chocolate chips, they can be left out entirely or other chocolate added.
- Walnuts – This optional ingredient is great in this little mug of banana cake.
- Mug or Ramekin – I really like making it in Ramekins, it just looks nicer. But mugs of course work great as well.
- Measuring spoons/cups, etc.
How to make a single-serving banana cake from scratch in less than 5 minutes
In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. You certainly could just do this after you add the banana to your mug or ramekin as well, to reduce the number of bowls used.
Peel half of a very ripe banana and add it to your mug or ramekin. Then use a fork and smash it down really well. Mix in your sugar and oil until well combined.
Then just add your dry ingredients and mix. It really is that easy. Now you can add your chocolate chips and nuts if desired.
Two Options for Cooking the Single-Serving Banana Cake
You have a few options when it comes to cooking your single-serving mug or “ramekin” cake. You can cook it in your microwave on high for 1 minute up to about 1 minute and 30 seconds. This is the option I usually do, just because it is so fast and convenient. I can be eating my banana cake in less than 5 minutes doing it this way.
Or you can cook it in an air fryer or oven. To cook it in the air fryer set the temp to 325F/160C and cook it for 10 to 20 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes. The top will be golden brown and crisp. Make sure to use a toothpick, if it comes out clean it is ready. Chances are you will need to cook it a bit longer. To prevent it from getting too brown in the air fryer, cover it with foil then cook it longer.
If you want to cook your one-serving cake in the oven, set the oven to 350F/176C and then cook it for 18 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Once the banana cake is done cooking, you can top it with more chocolate chips if you like. Allow it to cool for about a minute before eating it.
Simple as that. I really enjoy making this banana cake. It is just so quick and easy and not too incredibly sweet. I hope you give it a try sometime. If you do, make sure to write a comment and let me know how it went.
How long does this cake last?
It lasts about 4 or 5 bites, lol. Honestly, though, you can store it in the fridge for a few days if needed. Other than that it is a small enough portion that you can eat it all in one sitting without eating too many calories.
Can I make this single-serving cake with gluten-free flour?
Yes, you sure can use gluten-free flour to make this. Just substitute the flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour mix.
Here are other recipes you may like:
Single-Serving Banana Cake Ready in Less than 5 Minutes!
- Measuring spoons/cups, etc.
- 3 Tbsp of flour 24g
- 2 tsp of sugar 10g
- 1 tsp of oil 5g
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder 1g
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon 1g
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of chocolate chips optional
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the banana to a mug or ramekin and smash it with a fork.
- Add the oil and sugar and mix it with the banana.
- Mix the flour mixture with the banana mixture until well combined with a fork or small whisk.
- Add chocolate chips or chopped nuts if desired.
- Cook it in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds on high until a toothpick comes out clean. Or cook in the air fryer at 325F/160C for 10 to 20 minutes. Check it after 10 minutes Cover with foil if it gets too brown. Or bake it in the oven at 350F/176C for 18 to 24 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with additional chocolate chips or nuts if desired. Let cook a minute then serve. Enjoy!
Do you like this single-serving mug cake recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. Save the Pin to Pinterest! If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.