This homemade key lime pie is one super easy and delicious recipe! It is incredibly refreshing during a hot summer day and a mixture of both sweet and tart.
Key lime pie is an extremely popular dessert here in the United States. It originated in Florida many years ago, and am I glad it became a hit. I love just how simple it is to make using very few ingredients. Not only is it easy to make but it comes together extremely fast. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make key lime pie you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- Graham cracker crust – You will need a 9-inch graham cracker crust, you can buy a pre-made one or make one. I love the crust I use in this easy cheesecake recipe. You can’t go wrong with a yummy graham cracker crust.
- Egg yolks – Use the egg yolks from large eggs, otherwise, they may be a bit small.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – All the sweetness from the pie comes from the sweetened condensed milk since no sugar is added. It also helps to get the right pie texture.
- Lime zest – The zest from the limes gives tons of flavor to the pie. And it is essential when making a really good key lime pie.
- Lime juice – The lime juice is what gives the pie that rich lime flavor. You can’t make key lime pie without lime juice.
- 9-inch pie pan
- Hand mixer
Step 2: How to make key lime pie at home
Begin by making your graham cracker crust unless you are using a store-bought crust, which I do on occasion. Homemade graham cracker crusts are super easy to make, just blend up the graham crackers, add the sugar, and butter and blend until it resembles damp sand. Then spread it out and pack it down into a pie pan.
Step 3: What goes in a key lime pie filling
Once you have your pie crust ready, it is time to make the pie filling. This filling couldn’t be any easier. In a large bowl add the yolks from three eggs. Mix them well with a hand mixer or a whisk.
Then add in the can of sweetened condensed milk and blend that in. Once incorporated, add in the lime zest. A Microplane is my favorite tool for getting that zest.
After mixing in the lime zest, slowly mix in the lime juice until it is all mixed in. Now the key lime pie filling is ready to go. Super easy right?
Step 4: How to bake a key lime pie
Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth it out evenly as needed.
Bake the pie on the middle rack in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. There will only be a very slight jiggle left in the middle of the pie.
Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely at room temperature. Then place the pie in the fridge and allow it to chill/set for at least 4 hours or even over night before serving it.
Once the pie has had time to set properly, you can serve it plain or cover the top with sweetened whipped cream. Which is basically heavy whipping cream whipped with sugar and vanilla extract.
It is also fun to garnish the top with lime slices or more lime zest. You can decorate it however you like. Time to serve up a slice and enjoy!
How long does homemade key lime pie last?
If you cover the pie loosely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge it will last 4 to 5 days. Or you can certainly freeze it and it will last a few months. Then when you want to eat it, just allow it to thaw at room temperature.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Key Lime Pie
- 9-inch pie pan
- Hand mixer
Homemade Crust (or use premade)
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs 12 full sheets (128g)
- 6 tbsp butter melted (84g)
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar 25g
Key Lime Pie Filling
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 – 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk 396g
- 2 tsp. of lime zest 4g
- 1/2 cup of lime juice freshly squeezed or key lime juice (118ml)
Optional Whipped Cream topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream 240ml
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 3ml
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar 12g
- If you are making a homemade graham cracker crust, begin with that. Use a food processor and mix the graham crackers until they are crumbs, then add the sugar and melted butter. Mix until it resembles damp sand. Place the mixture in a 9-inch pie plate and compact it all around evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl whisk or mix the egg yolks by themselves for 15 to 20 seconds. Then add in the sweetened condensed milk and mix that in. Add the lime zest and then the lime juice a little at a time until all incorporated. The pie filling is ready.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and spread it out as needed so it is even. Bake it on the middle rack in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the pie and allow it to cool at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Set the pie in the fridge and let it chill/set for at least 4 hours or even overnight. Top the pie with a sweetened whipped cream if desired and garnish with lime slices or lime zest. Serve and enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
My favorite pie and this recipe is the BEST! Thank you!
You are so very welcome, Lauren, glad you liked it!
So yummy! It’s hard to believe that something this easy to make could be so delicious! 🙂
Thank you! I know right? Super easy.
This pie is the greatest ever!!!
Agreed! Thank you!