I am a huge fan of eggs, ever since I was a little kid I have loved eating them. Back then my favorite was sunny-side-up eggs. But now, it doesn’t matter, I like them all haha. One of my favorites is this perfect poached eggs recipe.
Traditionally you would poach an egg in a pot of boiling water and vinegar on the stovetop. While that method is still relatively fast, this method is even quicker and gives you perfect poached eggs every time.
Instead of using the pot and stovetop, these will be done in the microwave and be done in less than 90 seconds! If you are a fan of eggs, give this perfect poached eggs recipe a try. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make these delicious and super easy perfect poached eggs you need just three ingredients and then any seasonings:
- Eggs – You can’t make poached eggs without eggs!
- Water – I always used filtered water because my tap water tastes gross.
- White Distilled Vinegar
- Seasonings like salt, pepper, etc.
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Slotted spoon
Step 2: How to make perfect poached eggs in less than 90 seconds
Take a microwave-safe bowl and add the water to it. The water should be room temp, and not cold. If it is cold it will take longer, which is fine. Like I mentioned above I ALWAYS use filtered water for this, because my tap water doesn’t taste very good.
Next, pour in the white distilled vinegar. The vinegar helps the egg whites cook faster. If you don’t add the vinegar, the egg whites will kind of dissipate in the water and not cover the egg, as we want. It just won’t turn out very well if you don’t use vinegar.
Then crack that egg and drop it in the water. And just like that it is ready to be cooked.
Place the bowl in the microwave and cook it for about 90 seconds. It depends on the wattage of your microwave. I have a 1200 watt microwave, in that it takes about 75 seconds. 90 seconds creates a harder yolk.
If you want to do a second egg, drop another egg in and cook it for 50 to 60 seconds, since the water is already hot. No need to add any additional vinegar to the water.
Use a slotted spoon to take the poached egg out and place it on a plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and you are good to go! Serve them like that or on toast, with bacon, etc. Enjoy those perfect poached eggs!
How long do poached eggs last?
Once they are cooked, place the poached eggs in ice water and put them in the fridge. They will last 2 to 3 days. Warm them up in hot water when you want to eat them.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Perfect Poached Eggs
- Microwave safe bowl
- Slotted Spoon
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of water 475 ml doesn’t have to be exact
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar 15 ml
- Add room temp water to a microwave-safe bowl. Then add in the vinegar.
- Crack the egg open and drop it into the bowl of water. Cook in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds, depending on your microwave wattage, and depending on how done you want the yolk.
- Removed the perfect poached egg from the bowl with a slotted spoon and serve on toast, by itself, etc. Sprinkle with salt and pepper too if you like. To cook another one, drop another egg in and cook. It will take less time than the first since the water is already really hot. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.