Are you a huge fan of chips and salsa like me? This pico de gallo recipe is perfect for you! There is something comforting about a bowl of tortilla chips and a bowl of freshly made salsa.
When I think of Mexican food, one of the foods that comes to mind is salsa! There are a variety of salsas out there by my all time favorite is homemade pico de gallo also known as salsa fresca. It is fresh, and light, and one of the best ways to eat tomatoes, onion, peppers and cilantro, haha.
Stop buying that stuff that comes in a jar and treat yourself with this spectacular incredibly easy to make pico de gallo from scratch. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make pico de gallo at home you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients. Just maybe you have them growing in your garden:
- Tomatoes – There are many varieties of tomatoes to choose from when it comes to fresh homemade salsa, some of my favorites are Roma, Viva Italia, etc. Use your favorite red tomatoes.
- Onion – I usually use white onions, but you can use yellow and even green as well.
- Cilantro – love it or hate it, classic pico de gallo has cilantro in it.
- Jalapeno – I will admit I am a wimp when it comes to spicy food, so I go easy on the jalapenos. You can also use Serrano peppers as well. Speaking of Serranos, there is a restaurant chain that I like called Serrano’s that serves bottomless chips and salsa, so yummy!
- Garlic – Gotta love fresh minced garlic.
- Lime juice – A little goes a long way.
- Spatula or spoon
- Cutting board
Step 2: How to make amazing homemade pico de gallo
This particular salsa is fresh and doesn’t require any cooking, all your really need to do is cut up the ingredients and combine them all together.
Begin by washing and dicing up the tomatoes with a knife. Make the chunks of tomato fairly small. Then cut up the onion into little chunks.
Wash and dry the cilantro and then remove the leaves from the stems. Cut up and mince the fresh garlic and squeeze the lime juice. Wash and dry the jalapenos and then cut them in half and remove the seeds then chop them up finely.
Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix them well with a spatula or spoon. It really is that easy. I will note that you can certainly eat it right away, but it definitely tastes better a few hours later or even the next time, since the ingredients have had time to bathe together longer.
If you are a fan of more smooth salsa, kind of like the restaurant style salsa, take all of those same exact ingredients, and put them in a food process or blender and blend them until smooth. Add more salt, pepper, and even garlic powder to taste as needed. Enjoy!
What are some uses for pico de gallo?
Well, my favorite way to eat salsa is with chips. These homemade tortilla chips are awesome and a great way to use up leftover corn tortillas. Another thing this salsa is great on or in are homemade breakfast burritos.
You can use the salsa fresca for any number of dishes, tacos, burrito bowls, over scrambled eggs, add it with cheese for some yummy nachos, etc.
How long does homemade pico de gallo (salsa fresca) last?
If you seal up the salsa in an airtight container it will stay fresh for about a week. And of course the flavors get better the longer it sits, so it is actually good to let it sit for a day or two before eating it. I can never wait that long, however. I also dive in right after making it.
Why is my salsa so watery?
If you drain the tomatoes after cutting the up, and then salt them, before mixing them in with the other chopped ingredients this will help it to not get so watery.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Easy Pico de Gallo
- Spatula or spoon
- Cutting board
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes 4 to 5 medium tomatoes (400g)
- 1/2 cup diced/minced onion 1 small onion (75g)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup minced cilantro 1 to 2 handfuls (15g)
- 2 Tbsp. minced jalapeño 1 small jalapeño (30g)
- 2 tsp. lime juice about half a lime (10ml)
- 1 tsp. of salt kosher or table salt (5g)
- 3 cloves or about 2 Tbsp. of fresh minced garlic 30g
- 1/2 tsp. of black ground pepper 2g
- Begin by washing the tomatoes and the jalapeno. Dry them and then cut them up into really small chunks. Make sure to get all the seeds out of the jalapeno, unless you want it super spicy.
- Peel and dice up the onion. Wash and dry the cilantro and remove the stems and then cut them really small. Peel and cut the garlic cloves into really small pieces.
- Wash a lime and then cut it in half. Squeeze half of the lime into a bowl.
- Now just combine the chopped tomatoes, jalapeno, onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic. There you go, easy as that, fresh homemade pico de gallo. For a smooth restaurant-style salsa, pour the bowl of pico into a blender or food processor and blend it up until smooth.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
This looks like something that my family would be all over. Can’t wait to try it!
Thank you, Katie! Let me know how it turns out.
Oh I love this recipe! Delicious and easy to make!
Thank you, Melissa!
So good — I could eat this by itself with a spoon!!
I love this fresh and delicious pico de gallo!! Homemade is the best!! YUM!
Thank you! I know right? 🙂
That looks fresh and delicious! I had no idea homemade pico de gallo could last an entire week, that definitely makes me much more willing to try making a batch.
Thank you so much, Danai! 🙂 🙂 Good luck, let me know how it turns out.