These homemade pumpkin donuts are so yummy. They are soft and caky, and oh so delicious. If you are a fan of doughnuts, pumpkin, and cake. You will love this recipe.
Pumpkin donuts are so easy to make, just like my chocolate donuts and my classic glazed donuts. Also, they are baked and not fried so they are a little bit healthier. But let’s be honest we don’t eat doughnuts to be healthy, do we? I sure don’t! If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these yummy pumpkin cake donuts you just need a handful of everyday easy to find ingredients:
- Canned Pumpkin – Or you can use fresh pumpkin that you bake and puree ahead of time
- Granulated sugar
- Oil – I generally use vegetable oil or canola oil or coconut oil. There are several other good choices you can use.
- All-Purpose flour – Also known as plain flour.
- Baking powder
- Donut Pan
Step 2: How to make pumpkin donuts
Start by preheating the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl combine the canned pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs and blend them well, using a hand mixer or stiff whisk.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Step 3: Finish the pumpkin cake donuts batter
Next, add in the flour mixture about a third of it at a time. Use a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon to fold in the flour. Don’t use the mixer anymore, it is too easy to over mix the batter.
Over-mixing the batter can cause the donuts to be more dense and even a little gummy and not a light texture which is ideal.
Step 4: Baking the pumpkin doughnuts
Time to bake those pumpkin doughnuts. Take your donut pan and add cooking spray to it. Or you can grease it with shortening and flour it as well.
Spoon in the cake batter into each cavity or use a piping bag to fill them up about three fourths of the way full.
Bake them in the oven, middle rack position, for 13 to 14 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle. Once the donuts are done baking allow them to cool for a few minutes.
Step 5: To glaze or not to glaze those pumpkin donuts
Or do like I do which is my favorite way to eat these doughnuts. Take some sugar and add in cinnamon, then dip the donuts on one side or both sides.
Now the pumpkin donuts are done. If you dipped them in glazed allow the glaze to set for about 15 to 20 minutes. Otherwise it is time to dig into them now! Enjoy!
How long will the pumpkin donuts last?
If you store them in the fridge in an airtight container they will last 3 to 4 days. You may also freeze them in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for 2 to 3 months.
What if I don’t have a donut pan?
If you don’t have a donut pan and don’t want to buy one, you can make these yummy pumpkin muffins instead. Or you can make mini donut pans using a muffin pan. Take some aluminum foil about 6 inches by 6 inches.
Then push it down into the muffin tin, and pull up the center of the foil. Or you can shape some out of foil without using the muffin pan.
Can I use fresh pumpkin?
If you want to use fresh pumpkin follow the instructions found in this homemade pumpkin puree recipe.
- Donut Pan
- Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Wooden spoon or sturdy spatula
- 1 1/2 cups of canned pumpkin 337g
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar 300g
- 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil 120g
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons less (216g)
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder 6g
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt 8g
- 3/4 tsp of cinnamon 2g
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg 1g
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar 100g
- 3 Tbls of cinnamon 28g
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
- In a large bowl mix together the canned pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs. You may use a whisk or mixer.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Alternatively, you can use a sifter.
- Stir and fold the flour mixture in with the wet ingredients about a third at a time until combined. I don't recommend using the mixer to do this, it is too easy to over mix the batter creating dense and sometimes gummy donuts.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into a donut pan which has been coated with cooking spray or greased with shortening and dusted with flour. Only fill them up about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 13 to 14 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake donuts are done baking allow them to cool in their pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Dip the donuts in the mixture. You can do just one side or both. Or if you want you can make a chocolate or classic glaze. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: