Do you like Rice Krispies treats? If so, make these fun creative pumpkin Rice Krispies treats this fall/autumn. They are fun to make with the kids and a perfect treat for Halloween, or any party.
I am not going to lie, I am a sucker for Rice Krispies treats. They are so incredibly easy to make with just a few ingredients, and everyone seems to love them. So naturally I would like anything shaped out of them, especially these pumpkin Rice Krispies treats.
Topped with a store-bought mini Rolos for the stem and a green m&m for a leaf, and you have a great fun to make treat. This would be a perfect family activity to do. Pumpkin Rice Krispies treats are so simple to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these homemade pumpkin Rice Krispies treats, you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- Rice Krispies – Any generic crisped rice cereal should work.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Marshmallows – Use the large or mini marshmallows.
- Food coloring – You will need both red and yellow food coloring in order to get orange.
- Green M&Ms – Or you can use any similar green candy. Sometimes you can find green candy coated seeds as well.
- Rolos – You can use store-bought ones or homemade Rolos. This will be the stem, although you can use any type of similar candy/chocolate to be the stem. The mini ones are perfect. You could also use the mini peanut butter cups too!
- Oil (for hands)
- Parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Sheet pan
Step 2: How to make pumpkin Rice Krispies treats at home
To begin all you need to do is make the Rice Krispies. You can follow the recipe on the package if you want, or this rice Krispies recipe, and then skip this portion of this recipe. Or just continue following along.
Add the butter to a large bowl and melt it in the microwave, it will only take 20 to 30 seconds. Then add the marshmallows to the bowl and stir them to coat them with the butter.
Then melt the marshmallows in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir, 30 more seconds, then stir, until completely melted.
Note: Or if you don’t want to use a microwave, take a large pot and add the butter and the marshmallows and melt on medium-low stirring to keep it from burning.
Add a few drops of red and a few drops of yellow food coloring and stir. Keep adding the food coloring to get the desired orange color that you want.
Add the Rice Krispies or crisped rice cereal and stir with a spatula or spoon until well coated.
Take some oil and rub it onto your hands. You can use olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil, etc. This will keep the Rice Krispies from sticking to your hands.
After the Rice Krispies have cooled a bit, you can grab a bit of it and shape it into a ball. Then place it on a sheet pan lined with a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Now place a Rolo or Raisinet or something on top and push it down a bit. Then place a green candy coated M&M or something. This will act like a leaf.
Allow them to cool completely. You may also put them in the fridge so they will cool faster. And there you have it, cool little Halloween Pumpkin Rice Krispies treats. Enjoy!
How long do pumpkin Rice Krispies treats last?
If you keep them in a pan and cover them with a lid or plastic wrap they will last a few days at room temperature. Or they will last about a week in the fridge. You can also freeze them for several months if you like.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Pumpkin Rice Krispies Treats
- Oil (for hands, coconut, vegetable, etc)
- parchment paper or a silicone mat
- sheet pan
- 6 cups rice Krispies 180g
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter 57g
- 40 large marshmallows 280g
- Red food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- Green m&ms
- Rolos or any small brown candy for stem
- Begin by melting the butter in a large bowl in the microwave. You can do this on the stovetop as well if you like. Heat it for 20 to 30 seconds until it is nice and melted.
- Next, let's add the marshmallows to the bowl and stir it a bit to coat the marshmallows with butter. Then place the bowl in the microwave again and do increments of 30 seconds on "high" until they are all melted. It will take about 1 minute and 30 seconds.Or you can certainly melt them in a big pot on the stovetop instead of using a microwave.
- Add in a few drops of red and a few drops of yellow food coloring. Stir it up, and add more if you need to get your desired color.
- Now, add in the Rice Krispies and stir them until they are all coated with the marshmallows. Allow them to cool for a few minutes
- Take some oil and oil up your clean hands. Which will prevent the rice Krispies from sticking. After the Rice Krispies have cooled for a few minutes, you should be able to shape them into a ball and place on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- Next place a Rolo or Raisinet, or whatever you want to use as the stem. Then you can place a green M&M too if you like for a leaf.Let them cool completely. You may also put them in the fridge to speed up the process. There you go, cute little treats for Halloween. 🙂 Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
These are the cutest and was so fun to make with the kids!
Glad you liked them, Suzy! 🙂
These are so fun and a total hit with the kiddos!
So glad you like it, Anna!
I love rice krispies treats in any form and these are so fun! They make great treats for the entire Fall season!