I really enjoy this roasted pumpkin seeds recipe. It is one of my favorite snacks to eat during the Fall. They are crunchy, salty, and healthy as well!
Getting together with my friends a few days before Halloween is one of my favorite traditions. We usually have pizza and then carve pumpkins. I love carving pumpkins!
This stranger things pumpkin carving has got to be one of my all time favorites.
One thing that is awesome, is we always have tons of pumpkin seeds leftover. Pumpkin seeds are also known as “pepita.” I love saving the seeds and making roasted pumpkin seeds. They are so easy to make, and taste amazing! If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make roasted pumpkins seeds at home, you need just a few ingredients:
- Pumpkin seeds – You can’t make roasted pumpkin seeds without the pumpkin seeds.
- Oil – You can use canola, vegetable, olive, coconut, avocado, etc. You can also use butter!
- Seasonings – Some optional seasonings include garlic powder, nacho cheddar cheese popcorn seasoning, and ranch popcorn seasoning.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
Step 2: How to make homemade roasted pumpkin seeds
Begin by preheating the oven to 300 F/150 C. If you haven’t cleaned off the pumpkin seeds yet, do that now. Remove them from the stringy pulp that might be stuck to them. They can be a little slippery to grip, so it takes a little time to separate them.
Put the seeds in a colander or other strainer and rinse the seeds. Then pat the seeds dry with a clean towel. Of if doing this beforehand spread them out on a sheet pan to air dry. It’s okay if there are a few strings of pumpkin guts here and there, they actually will add a bit of flavor.
Place the washed and dried pumpkin seeds into a bowl. Then add the oil and a few shakes of salt. Stir the seeds to coat them evenly.
Now add any other seasonings. They stick better if you add them now. But you can always add more later after the pumpkin seeds are roasted. Some of my favorite seasonings to use are the popcorn seasonings powders and garlic powder.
You can also add something like chili powder or cayenne pepper to give them some heat.
Step 3: Roast those pumpkin seeds
Spread the seeds out on a sheet pan lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. You can get away with just using the pan, but may want to spray it with cooking spray, even if the seeds are coated in oil.
Bake them in the oven, middle rack position, for 15 minutes, then remove them and stir them. Then back in the oven for 15 more minutes, stir, then back in the oven for 15 minutes. Until they are nice and golden brown.
Remove the seeds from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Then add additional seasonings if you like, and serve. Enjoy!
How long do roasted pumpkin seeds last?
If stored in an airtight container after they are cooled, they will last a few months in the fridge. Or they will last about a week or so at room temperature.
Here are some other recipes you make like:
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- baking sheet
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 1 cup roughly pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp. of oil canola, vegetable, olive, etc
- salt to taste
- garlic powder optional
- nacho cheddar seasonings optional
- ranch seasonings optional
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. (148C) Then take your seeds and rinse them off removing as much pumpkin guts/stings, etc, as possible. Then make sure to dry them.
- Next place them in a bowl and add 2 tsp. of olive oil, canola oil, melted butter, etc. Use a spoon or fork to make sure the seeds are nice and coated.
- Now add your seasonings. I like to add salt and garlic powder and sometimes popcorn seasonings like ranch or cheddar cheese. You may want to add chili powder or cayenne pepper for some kick. Maybe some smoked paprika as well.
- Spread out the seeds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, those aren't necessary but I always like to use them.Now bake them at 300 F for 15 minutes then remove the pan and stir the seeds. Repeat that a few more times until nice and golden brown on the edges. Let them cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a serving dish. Add more seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Do you eat the seeds with the skin on? I’ve always peeled them before eating!
Yep, I always eat them with the shell on the seeds. 🙂
Perfect treat for the season! I will definitely remember not to throw the seeds – this is brilliant!
Thank you!! Yeah it is nice to be able to use them instead of throwing them away.
I love Roasted Pumpkin Seeds as snacks. It’s so healthy and tasty. Also, it’s easy to prepare for kids.
That is awesome! Indeed very easy to prepare for kids.
You read my mind ! My sister and I were literally just talking about what to do with our extra pumpkin seeds! Roasting them your way made them come out great!
Glad you liked it!! 🙂
This is super delicious and easy and I love that it’s not wasteful!
I make this quite often and my family loves it. It’s nice to see it’s getting promoted. Is a very healthy snack.
That is great!
Ooo I never thought about doing this…what a great idea and a deffo must do for us thank you x
You are welcome!
I always loved eating roasted pumpkin seeds growing up, and I love how simple they are to make as well!
I love carving pumpkins! I do it with my kids every year. But I haven’t had roasted pumpkin seeds since I was a kid. That would be such a perfect blast from the past.
Nice!! You will have to make them this year. 🙂 🙂
Pumpkin seed is one of my favorite snacks most especially during movie time, it is also delicious and healthy.
My mom LOVES pumpkin seeds! I’m gonna share this recipe with her.
Wow….that is it? This is the easiest recipe you have shared, Matt. I love it. Time to roast some….
Yep, that is it! 🙂
What a quick and healthy snack to make. Organic food is always the best!
Pumpkin seeds make such an awesome snack! They’re great to munch on during movie night.
So true! A great snack indeed.
Yum! My husband loves pumpkin seeds! He’s definitely going to love this recipe!
We absolutely love these! We’ve already made them 4 times in the past 2 weeks.:)
That is awesome!
A yearly tradition! Can’t carve pumpkins without roasting the seeds after 😉