Time to learn how to make Scotcheroos with this easy homemade recipe. If you are a fan of chocolate, peanut butter, fudge, and Rice Krispies, you will love these Scotcheroos!
Scotcheroos are a sort of Rice Krispies treat, without marshmallows, and covered in melted chocolate. The butterscotch chips in it make them divine. They were introduced by Kellogg’s in the mid 1960’s and the recipe was printed on the Rice Krispies box.
This yummy no-bake treat is so amazing and only requires 6 ingredients. They are super simple to make if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these amazing Scotcheroos, you need just a handful of easy to find ingredients:
- Corn syrup
- Peanut butter – You can use store-bought or this homemade peanut butter recipe.
- Rice Krispies – You can use generic crisped rice cereal as well, it doesn’t have to be Kellogg’s.
- Semi-Sweet chocolate chips – You can use chocolate bars as well.
- Butterscotch Chips – The star of this recipe. You can have Scotcheroos without the butterscotch chips!
- Parchment paper or cooking spray
Step 1: How to make Scotcheroos
This treat is a no-bake treat however we still have to use the burner to melt the sugar. Add the white granulated sugar and the corn syrup to a medium pot and place it on the burner. Set the heat to medium heat.
Stir as the mixture heats up and the sugar melts. Keep heating it until it boils. Once it boils allow it to boil for 15 to 20 seconds and then remove it from the heat.
Immediately add in all of the peanut butter and stir it in until it melts and the mixture is smooth. This is very similar to how I make my peanut butter fudge.
Now pour the peanut butter mixture all over a large bowl of Rice Krispies cereal or crisped rice cereal. Similar to making Rice Krispies treats. Working quickly, stir in the peanut butter mixture with the cereal on until all combined. It sets fairly quickly, so work fast!
Now pour the Scotcheroos Rice Krispies base into a 9×13 inch baking pan that is lined with parchment paper or has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spread it out evenly and pack it down firmly. Again, very similar to make Rice Krispies treats.
Just leave the pan there and allow the base to start cooling down while you make the chocolate topping.
Step 3: Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips
Now it is time to melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. There are a couple of ways you can melt the chocolate. I normally just do it in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Heat it for 30 seconds, then stir, heat it for 30 seconds, stir, etc., until nice and melted.
Or you can use the double-boiled method as pictured. Take a small pot and add about an inch deep of water. Place it on the burner of your stovetop or of course you can use a hot plate if you have that. Set the heat to medium.
Place a larger pyrex or metal bowl on top. As the water heats up the steam will hit the bottom of the bowl, warming it as well as gently melting the chocolate. Make sure to stir the chocolate periodically.
Pour the melted chocolate over the pan of Scotcheroos base. Spread it out evenly. Try the recipe as is first, then later if you want a thicker chocolate base on top you can melt more chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. And you can certainly use other flavors of chocolate if you like. It is totally up to you.
Allow the pan to cool, it will probably still be hot. After 20 to 30 minutes it can go in the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour for it to completely set.
Step 4: Cut and serve those homemade Scotcheroos
Once the chocolate has set it is time to dive into those yummy treats. Pull up on the sides of the parchment paper to remove the whole thing from the pan, one of the reasons I love using parchment paper, it comes out super easy. Then cut it into squares, whatever size that you want. You should be able to get 32 to 36 squares or more. Enjoy!
How long do Scotcheroos last?
If stored in an airtight container they will stay fresh for a few days at room temperature. Or store them in the fridge for 5 to 6 days. If you do, allow them to come to room temp before eating them, otherwise they will be a little harder to bite into.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
- Parchment paper or cooking spray
- 1 cup white granulated sugar 200g
- 1 cup corn syrup 340g
- 1 cup peanut butter 240g
- 6 cups crisped rice/Rice Krispies 164g
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 170g
- 1 cup butterscotch chips 170g
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup to a medium pot. Set the burner to medium heat and melt the sugar. Stir the mixture and heat it until it boils. After it boils allow it to continue boiling for 20 seconds or so then remove it from the heat.
- Immediately add in the peanut butter and stir until it is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over a large bowl of the Rice Krispies cereal, stir to combine. Work quickly, because it sets fairly fast. Then pour it into the pan and spread it out evenly as well as press it down firmly.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in the microwave or on the stovetop with the double boiler method. If using the microwave, use a microwave-safe bowl and use bursts of 30 seconds and then stir, until melted. For the double boiler method, add a pot with about an inch of water to the burner, set the heat to medium. Place a larger pyrex or metal bowl on top of the pot, and add the chocolate chips and butterscotch, stir periodically until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. Let the pan cool for 15 to 20 minutes before putting it in the fridge to cool and set for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once set, remove the pan from the fridge, pull up on the parchment paper removing the treat, and then cut it up into squares. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Pin it! And please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
These are good but try adding a stick of butter to sugar instead of corn syrup use honey. Cook same way. Melt chocolate chips and peanutbutter chips together. So much better.
Hi Dixie, There are plenty of recipes for Scotcheroos, this is the classic version. And some people are allergic to honey or don’t like the taste of it. Fewer people are allergic to corn syrup. 🙂 Also, this is keeping in line with the actual Original recipe put out by Kellogg’s on their rice krispies site. But is always yummy! haha
An easy recipe for sure. What’s not to love with all the yummy ingredients!
Thank you, Erin!!
YUM! The perfect little treat! My kids would love these!
Thank you!! 🙂
Scotcheroos are always quick to be gobbled up by my crew. Yours is a great recipe!
Thank you!! 🙂