I love eating chips. Even more so, I love dipping chips in a nice warm homemade spinach artichoke dip. This recipe is so amazing and perfect for dip lovers.
Whether you are planning a game day party or just having a fun board game night or other kind of social gathering, this dip is perfect. You can serve it warm or cold with your favorite chips or spread it on some baguettes. An amazing appetizer for any occasion. It is so easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this amazing spinach artichoke dip you will need the following tools and ingredients:
- Cream cheese – It is a great base ingredient for many dips
- Sour cream – You can use store-bought or this sour cream substitute.
- Parmesan Cheese – Use freshly grated or packaged already grated parmesan cheese. Do not use the powdered stuff.
- Mozzarella Cheese – I normally just buy pre-grated but you can grate your own if you like. Some people leave out the mozzarella and only use parmesan cheese, but I like adding the mozzarella.
- Salt – to taste. Don’t go overboard with the salt, there is salt in the cheese and most likely salt on the chips you will be dipping with.
- Garlic powder – I love the garlic taste. Add as much as you like.
- Ground pepper – to taste. Some people leave it out altogether.
- Spinach – Frozen spinach works great for this dip, but you can use fresh spinach as well.
- Artichoke Hearts – Frozen or canned works great, or you can cook your own.
- Large bowl
- 8×8 Baking pan
- Cooking spray
Step 2: How to make Spinach Artichoke Dip
Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. Next, soften the cream cheese. You can leave it out at room temperature for a few hours or place it in a large bowl in the microwave and use the defrost setting. It is important that the cheese is super soft.
Step 3: Mixing in the ingredients
After your cream cheese is soft, add to the bowl, the sour cream, mayonnaise, ground black pepper, salt, garlic powder, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mix the ingredients altogether with a spoon or spatula.
Step 4: Add in the spinach to the dip
Prepare the frozen spinach by thawing it out and squeezing out the liquid, so it is fairly dry. You may also cook down fresh spinach either in a skillet with a bit of oil or by steaming it. Take the spinach and add it to the dip. You can’t have spinach artichoke dip without the spinach. However, if you only want an artichoke dip, leave the spinach out.
Step 5: Add in the Artichoke to the dip
Now prepare the artichokes. You can drain canned artichoke hearts which I normally do, or you can thaw out frozen artichoke hearts. Or you may also like to cook your own fresh artichokes and use those. It is totally up to you. Chop up the artichoke hearts further into smaller pieces and then add them to the large bowl of spinach dip. If you just want spinach dip, don’t add in the artichoke hearts.
Step 6: Bake the spinach artichoke dip
Add the spinach artichoke dip to an 8×8 inch baking pan. Make sure to spray it with kitchen spray or use a little bit of oil. Spread out the dip into an even layer using a spatula.
Bake it in the oven at 350 F/176 C for about 20 minutes. This will allow the cheese to melt. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve it with your favorite chips, pita, baguettes, etc. Enjoy!
How long will spinach artichoke dip last?
If you cover the dip with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container it will last 4 to 5 days in the fridge. Then you can reheat it in the oven for 10 minutes before serving if you like, or serve it cold.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Large bowl
- 8×8 baking pan
- cooking spray
- 8 oz. really soft cream cheese 225g
- 1/3 cup sour cream 80g
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise 75g
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 45g (Don’t use that powdered kind)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese 50g
- 1/4 tsp. salt 1g
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 2g
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper less than 1g
- 1 cup of frozen spinach thawed and squeezed (155g)
- 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts chopped (390g – before it is drained)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl add really soft cream cheese. If you need to put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up. Also, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mix those ingredients all together with a spoon or spatula.
- Next, add in thawed frozen spinach. After thawing it, make sure to squeeze out the extra liquid as well. Mix well with the other ingredients.
- Now drain the artichoke hearts and chop them up into smaller pieces. Add those in and mix well. The dip is ready to be baked.
- Add the spinach artichoke dip to an 8×8 pan which has been sprayed with kitchen spray. Bake it for 20 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: