Are you a Star Wars fan? I am a huge Star Wars fan. If you want a themed treat to make, make these amazing Star Wars Death Star Peanut Butter cups!
I am a sucker for homemade peanut butter cups. In my opinion, they are even better than store-bought and you can use whatever chocolate you like. Pick your favorite. I mean what can be better than peanut butter and chocolate? Well, I can think of one thing, Star Wars Death Star peanut butter cups, haha.
Star Wars Death Star peanut butter cups are so easy to make. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make Star Wars Death Star peanut butter cups you need just a handful of ingredients and tools:
- Chocolate – You can use whatever kind of chocolate you want, chocolate chips, chocolate bars, chocolate candy melts, or CandiQuik, which melts really well.
- Peanut butter – Use store-bought or homemade peanut butter.
- Powdered sugar – Also known as icing or confectioner’s sugar.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Star Wars Death Star ice cube mold
- Plastic bag or piping bag or small funnel
Step 2: How to make Star Wars Death Star Peanut Butter Cups
Take your chosen chocolate and melt it in small microwave-safe bowls in the microwave or you can use the double boiler method on the stovetop as well. If using the microwave, use bursts of 30 seconds on high, then stir with a spoon, and then again for 30 seconds, etc. Until nice and melted.
TIP: If the chocolate isn’t very runny, you can add a teaspoon or two of shortening or vegetable oil to thin it out.
There are a few methods for doing this. Try them all and see what you like the best.
Add some melted chocolate to the bottom halves of the Star Wars Death Star molds. Don’t make it too thick, around 1/8th inch thick is great, although, I make it thicker sometimes. You can leave it like that, or also tilt them at an angle so the melted chocolate covers the walls of it. Or use a brush and paint the chocolate up the sides of the mold.
TIP: You can do the same thing with the top, although there is a hole, so you need to plug the hole with a little stopper or place a small piece of parchment paper there. Then add the chocolate and tilt it or paint it so it covers the whole inside.
Allow the chocolate to set, it is quickest to use the fridge for about 15 minutes, but candy melts or CandiQuik will set fairly quickly at room temperature as well.
Step 3: Make the peanut butter cup filling
Time to make the Star Wars Death Star peanut butter cup filling. In a small bowl add the peanut butter, powdered sugar, salt, and then melt the butter and add that.
NOTE: If you are using salted butter, leave out the additional salt.
Mix those ingredients together until it becomes a dough consistency, kind of like play dough. It shouldn’t stick you or finger when pressed. Add a bit more powdered sugar if it is sticky.
Once the chocolate has set, take some of the peanut butter cup mixture and form it into a large ball, small enough to fit inside of the death star ice cube mold, but still large enough so the chocolate that goes around it, isn’t too thick.
Now you can put the top half on and make sure it fits snuggly.
Depending on the method you want to try. The least effective method is to use a funnel and pour the chocolate in the funnel. The chocolate needs to be extremely thin and running for this to work, but it will work.
Or a better method would be to take a piping bag or a plastic bag and add the melted chocolate to that. Then pipe it around the peanut butter ball until it is filled up.
TIP: And injector tip with a piping bag works really great for this.
Now put the top half on.
Then put your piping bag in the top hole and pipe the chocolate in, which will fill up the gaps. If you used a stopper or piece of parchment paper to cover the hole, and already covered the top half with chocolate, remove the covering. Pipe in extra chocolate to fill in any gaps between the chocolate and the peanut butter ball.
Place the molds in the fridge or the freezer and chill for at least an hour. The chocolate shell covering needs to be extremely firm before trying to remove the mold from the Star Wars Death Star peanut butter cup.
Step 4: Remove the Star Wars Death Star Peanut Butter Cup
Now the moment of truth! Time to pen up the molds to reveal the treat inside. This part can be a bit tough, the molds like to stick, but you just need to work at it, and it will come loose. Enjoy!
NOTE: The walls may be fairly thick. You will need to let it sit out at room temperature for a while before trying to eat it.
Here are some other recipes that you may like:
Pokemon Detective Pikachu Cake
Star Wars Death Star Peanut Butter Cups
- Death Star Silicone Sphere Mold
- Several bowls
- Plastic bag, piping bag, or small funnel
- Basting brush
- 1 cup Chocolate milk chocolate melting wafers, or chocolate chips, chocolate bars, CandiQuick etc. (140g)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter 120g
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp of Powdered Sugar 76g
- 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter 14g
- 1/4 tsp of salt 1g
- Take a small amount of chocolate and place it in the bowls. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on high, in bursts of 30 seconds, stirring in between each burst. Or use the double boiler method on the stovetop burner.
- Add some chocolate to the mold each bottom half. You can leave it just on the bottom or also tilt the mold and rotate it so the whole bottom half inside gets covered. You can do the same with the top half but you will need to plug the hole in the top. Allow the chocolate to set for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, salt, and then melt your butter (microwave 20 to 30 seconds) and pour that in. Mix well until a dough forms. It shouldn't be sticky, if it is, add a little bit more powdered sugar.
- Take a large chunk of the peanut butter mixture and roll it into a ball so it will fit inside the mold. The larger it is the thinner the walls of chocolate will be. Add the ball to the bottom of the mold.
- You can use a piping bag and pipe chocolate around the ball on the bottom half right now if you like. Place the top part of the mold on. Then use a funnel and add chocolate so it fills up the mold. The funnel isn't the best. Use a piping bag and pipe chocolate through the hole so it fills up any gaps.
- Chill the molds in the fridge or freezer for at least one hour, the chocolate needs to get nice and firm. Then you can pull them apart and take out the awesome Star Wars Death Star Peanut butter cup. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.