I have always been a fan of tater tots ever since I was little. Several years ago I tried totchos for the first time at a Burger place here in AZ. I was so hooked so I decided to come up with this totchos recipe. Since then the burger chain changed their recipe a bit from the original that I had many years ago.
Totchos are a place on traditional nachos, but instead of chips, you use tater tots, and then top them with your favorite nacho toppings. I love using gravy and bacon on mine, so yummy!
If you are a fan of tater tots you have got to try this totchos recipe out, it is so easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this simple totchos recipe you need just a handful of ingredients:
- Tater Tots – You can’t make totchos without tater tots.
- Bacon – Save some bacon grease from the cooked bacon for the gravy.
- Milk – I normally use whole milk, but 2% and 1% will work as well.
- Flour – All purpose/plain flour
- Cheese – I like to use cheddar but you can use whatever cheese that you want..
- Green Onions
Step 2: How to make this yummy totchos recipe
Preheat the oven to 425 F/218 C. Or just follow what it says on the back of the tater tots package. Place the tater tots on a sheet pan and bake them on the middle rack in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Cook the bacon in a skillet on the stovetop with the heat set to medium. I love using thick cut applewood smoked bacon, it is my favorite. You your favorite bacon, and cook it until browned on each side and slightly crispy. You can make it as crisp as you want.
After you cook the bacon, place it on paper towels to dry. Tilt the pan and remove most of the bacon grease from the pan with a spoon. Leave 2 to 3 tablespoons of the grease in the pan. This will be used for the milk gravy. Match the amount of flour with the amount of grease.
Add the flour to the pan and stir with a whisk, if you are using a nonstick pan, make sure you use something like a silicone whisk or wooden spoon.
Stir until the flour is all mixed in and it is lightly brown in color. Then slowly add in the milk while stirring. Keep stirring constantly until all the milk is added. If you happen to get lumps, don’t worry, you can get those out later.
Gently use a fork to push down on any lumps in the gravy. You can use something else too if you like, it doesn’t have to be a fork.
Once the milk gravy starts to bubble, turn the heat down to medium-low. It should start to get thick by this point. Add some salt and pepper, according to your taste.
Once it is the thickness that you want, the gravy will be complete. If it is too thick you can add a bit more milk to thin it out.
By this time the tater tots should be done as well. Remove them from the oven and place them on a plate.
After adding the baked tater tots to the plate, pour the warm gravy on top. Then add shredded cheddar cheese. Cut up the bacon into pieces and add that. Finally, chop up some green onions and add those.
Here are a few other recipes you may like:
- baking sheet
- Paper Towel
- 16 oz. Half bag of Tater Tots 450g
- 3 Strips of bacon I am using thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, save 2 Tbsp of bacon grease
- 1 cup of milk 237ml
- 2 Tbsp of flour 16g
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese of course you can use whatever cheese you like (117g)
- 2 Tbs of chopped green onions 12g
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F. Or whatever it says on the back of your package. Then put those tots on a baking sheet and in the oven, and bake them on the center rack until golden brown about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on the stovetop with medium heat until crispy. Once done, place the bacon on paper towel to dry/drain.
- Remove all but about 2 tbsp. of the bacon grease, tilt the skillet and use a spoon to remove the grease. Add the flour to the bacon grease and stir it around with a whisk or wooden spoon. It should turn into a light brown paste.Continue stirring and then add the milk slowly while stirring until incorporated. Smoosh down any lumps with a fork or spoon. Once it bubbles reduce the heat to medium-low and allow it to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Once it has thickened the gravy is ready.
- By this time the tots will be ready, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Then put them on a plate or in a casserole dish.
- Pour the gravy over the mound of baked tater tots. Then add shredded cheese on top. Cut up the bacon into little pieces and place that on top of the cheese, followed by chopped green onion. It is done. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Pin it if you like. Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.