I don’t throw around the term “best” very often, but this truly is the best zucchini bread I have ever made and eaten.
This zucchini bread recipe is soft, moist, not too sweet, and oh so delicious. It is the perfect way to serve up some veggies.
Parents have long since “hidden” veggies in baked goods with the goal to get a little bit of nutrition into their picky eater kids. This zucchini bread from scratch is probably the king at masking or hiding veggies.
And this quick bread is super duper easy to make. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this amazing homemade zucchini bread you need the following ingredients:
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Oil – Vegetable, canola, olive, coconut, etc. are all good choices.
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream – This ingredient is optional, but it really helps make the zucchini bread nice and moist.
- Chopped nuts – I use either pecans or walnuts.
- Zucchini – The star of this dish. It is up to you whether to peel it or not. I don’t peel mine. Grate it by hand with a box grater or use a food processor.
Step 2: How to make yummy easy homemade zucchini bread
Begin by preheating the oven to 325 F/162 C, with the rack in the middle position. Then in a medium bowl sift or whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. So all the dry ingredients.
Now in a large bowl, add the egg and whisk it. Then add in the oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Whisk those ingredients together well and then add in the sour cream and mix.
You may also use a hand or stand mixer if you like. But if you don’t have one or don’t want to use it, hand whisking works great. I do recommend using a fairly sturdy whisk.
Step 3: Complete the zucchini bread batter
Next, time to complete the batter by folding and stirring in the chopped nuts and grated zucchini. Again, it is up to you whether to peel the zucchini or not.
Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure that all the ingredients are incorporated. There you have it, the zucchini bread batter is ready to go.
Step 4: Bake the easy zucchini bread
Take an 8×4 inch bread loaf pan and grease it with shortening or use cooking spray. Then add around a tablespoon of flour to the pan and tap the flour all around the pan. This really helps to keep the bread from sticking.
Next, pour the quick bread batter into the pan. Bake it in the oven for 55 to 65 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, and the top is nice and golden brown.
Once the bread comes out of the oven allow it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes in the pan. After it has cooled down a bit, run a cake spatula or butter knife along the edges of the bread and pan to loosen it.
It should already be pretty loose if you greased and floured the pan.
Now all you have to do is let the bread cool the rest of the way before slicing into it and eating it. Enjoy!
How long does homemade zucchini bread last?
If stored in an airtight container, the bread will last for a few days at room temperature. If stored in the fridge it will keep fresh for about a week. Or if you like you can freeze it for a few months. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then wrap it with foil.
Other quick bread recipes you may like:
Best Zucchini Bread
- Whisk or hand mixer/stand mixer
- 8×4 inch bread pan
- Shortening or cooking spray for pan
- Wire rack
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour 180g
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon 5g
- 1/2 tsp. salt 2g
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda 2g
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder 2g
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup oil vegetable, canola, olive, coconut, etc. (120ml)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar 200g
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 7ml
- 1/3 cup sour cream 80g
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts 65g
- 1 cup grated zucchini About 1 medium washed and dried zucchini (150g)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/162 C with the main rack in the middle position. Whisk together the dry ingredients, the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg, then add in the oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Whisk or mix those ingredients together, and then add in the sour cream and mix it in.
- Grate the zucchini by hand with a box grater or with a food processor. Add the zucchini and the chopped nuts into the bread batter. Fold the ingredients in and stir, don't use a hand mixer at this point, if you have been using one. The zucchini bread batter is ready.
- Take the 8×4 inch bread pan and grease it with shortening or spray it with cooking spray. Then add some flour and tap it all around so the flour covers the whole inside of the pan. Tap out the excess flour. Pour in the batter and bake the bread for 55 to 65 minutes until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing it from the pan and allowing it to cool completely on a wire rack. Use a cake spatula or butter knife to loosen it from the pan if needed.Serve it plain or spread some butter on it. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.